Colleges are suspending students for violating COVID-19 restrictions; August is Romance Awareness Month

Today is Aug. 26, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

As the number of COVID-19 cases continue to soar as college students return to campuses across the U.S., disciplinary actions are being implemented for those who violate restrictions.

228 students received interim suspensions Tuesday at The Ohio State University for participating in large group gatherings. Off-campus residents were asked to remain away from campus until their cases have been adjudicated, and on-campus residents face the possibility of losing housing if the cases are deemed more serious. 

Montclair State University has already suspended 11 students from living in university housing for not abiding by social distancing and mask rules. Disciplinary actions are increasing in a serious matter as Montclair State University officials warn, “Please understand, there will be no second chances. Any student who violates the safety protocols will be immediately suspended from housing, will be referred to the director of student conduct and will be immediately de-registered from any courses or programs.” 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Lili Reinhart gives an incredible performance in Chemical Hearts. (The Post)

August is Romance Awareness Month. Read about women’s, gender and sexuality studies professor Kelly Choyke’s perspective on romance in pop culture. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another beautiful day in Athens! Today will be mostly sunny with a high of 90 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The University of Alabama reported over 560 cases of COVID-19 since classes resumed. (The Daily Beast)

Tropical Storm Laura upgraded to a Category 1 Hurricane and is approaching the Gulf Coast. (NBC 29)

The governor of Wisconsin declared a state of emergency due to the outbreak of protests following the police shooting of Jacob Blake. (AP News

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu