Photo provided by Athens CASA Facebook.

Superhero 5K to raise money for a great cause

Adorned with superhero gear, capes and all, the 5K participants take to the streets with one goal in mind: to help local foster children.

The Athens CASA/GAL program, or Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardian Ad Litem, is hosting its seventh annual Superhero 5K with virtual adaptations due to COVID-19. 

Each year, the overall mission is to train more CASA volunteers to represent the best interests of children who are involved in the court system because of abuse or neglect. But this year, the format is slightly different. 

Jenny Slotts, executive director of Athens CASA, feels this year's race is much more accessible and inclusive than in years past. In light of following social distancing and other safety protocols, they are promoting a “5K your way” to let individuals choose the avenues to complete the distance. 

“Not everybody can or wants to run,” Slotts said. “We have people that are telling us they're going to do kayaks or canoes and get their 5K that way, or riding a bike. Of course, we have people who use wheelchairs and things like that to do their 5K. I know my dad is doing his on horseback, so it's really justified for everyone.”

Slotts encourages 5K participants to get creative, with the only rule being they must dress like a superhero. 

Once people finish the 5K, they can share their results through the Superhero 5K website, or they can just post pictures of themselves participating in the 5K on social media with #AthensCASA and possibly win a small gift.

Those who want to register are free to do so until the race begins Sept. 4. It’s a $35 fee to register, but people also have the opportunity to donate beyond the race fee, as 100% of the donations go toward the Athens CASA/GAL program volunteers, technology and supplies.

Carly Leatherwood, president of the Friends of Athens CASA board, loves the family-friendly aspect of the race. 

“It's a really cool way for families to walk together to run together,” Leatherwood said. “It's a really nice way for families to get some exercise and support a really important cause in our community.”

Leatherwood has been overjoyed to see so much support from various Athens residents and businesses, including David White Services, Stephanie Wood from Ohio Realty, Class A Sounds, Shawna Stump State Farm, Oakview Dermatology, Southeast Beverage Company, Secure Title Services and more.

Many OU students are also participating in the 5K. Jessie Hartman, a senior studying social work, is on the cross country and track teams and is participating with several of her teammates. 

Hartman had been an intern with Athens CASA and still remains a CASA volunteer. Last year, she volunteered at the 5K, and this year is her first time running in it. Though the run won’t be particularly challenging for the athlete, she and her teammates are taking the opportunity to wear their capes and post a lot on social media to promote the event.

“I've just been pushing it to everybody to participate because CASA does great work for the kids that they serve,” Hartman said. “It's all relied upon by volunteers that decide that they want to help out and go through the training and help these kids. So if you're participating in the 5K, your money is going directly towards helping better the lives of the kids that CASA serves, so it's just a really, really great nonprofit, and I personally enjoyed interning with them, and I'm still a CASA volunteer now, so it's been a really great experience.”

Leatherwood and Slotts know that not everyone is able to participate in the 5K, but they hope people will still donate to Athens CASA. 

“We’re a small enough organization that we feel that every contribution that someone makes to us, whether it's $5 or whether it's $5,000. Every contribution and every bit of support that someone gives to us, we can feel it,” Slotts said. “We recognize it, and we are so grateful and appreciative for it.”

More than anything, Slotts and the rest of the Athens CASA team are excited to see their work come to fruition with the virtual adaptation to the 5K. 

“I've been with CASA for about seven years now, and the amount of love and support that we get from our community is just incredible, and it's cool, just to get to be even a part of that, let alone get to work for CASA and work with all of our CASA volunteers,” Slotts said. “It really does make an incredible impact on our work and an incredible impact for the children that we will serve.”

@rileyr44 

rr855317@ohio.edu