Athens Mayor Steve Patterson speaks at the Athens City Council meeting on March 2, 2020. (FILE)

City Council: Utility Relief Grant Program passed for Athens residents

Athens City Council passed an ordinance Tuesday that will allow up to $75,000 of grant funds to be distributed to Athens residents who are unable to pay city utility bills due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The grant money will be given to Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, or HAPCAP, and will then be distributed to applicants through the organization. Each household will be eligible to receive up to $1,000 through the grant.  

A similar program, which began in August, is providing up to $25,000 to Athens residents currently unable to pay their rent. The funding for both of these grants was provided by the federal government through the CARES act. 

Mayor Steve Patterson stressed the importance of creating this program as soon as possible in order to provide fast relief to residents in need.

“We’re currently looking at over 470 households that are in need of some level of relief because they are behind in their utility bill payment due to COVID-19,” he said.

Council members also emphasized the importance of completing the 2020 Census during their meeting.

Council President Chris Knisely said Athens receives $1,200 in program funds for every person who completes their census.

“I know a lot of people are out going door to door trying to find the last people that we need to uncover so that we can fulfill the desires and destiny of Athens into the future, so fill out those forms,” Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said.

@kyraleckrone

kl290617@ohio.edu