No officers directly charged with the killing of Breonna Taylor; Athens Board of Elections has two drop-off boxes

Today is Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020. Here’s what you need to know: 

Good morning, 

In a decision by a grand jury, none of the officers involved in the killing of Breonna Taylor were charged directly with her death. 

Taylor was a 26-year-old Black woman fatally shot by three Louisville Metro Police Department officers while she was sleeping back in March 2020. In the wake of recent protests against police brutality, Taylor’s case has been commonly been brought up as an example of systematic injustice.  

Former officer Brett Hankison was charged on first-degree wanton endangerment charges for his shots that went into neighboring apartments, but he received nothing in relation to Taylor’s death. The other two officers on the scene, Jon Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove, were not charged with anything.  

Protests have already begun in the city of Louisville. The demonstrations were anticipated before the announcement of the single charge, given a recently announced 72-hour countywide curfew, and the closing of government buildings during the curfew and the activation of the Kentucky National Guard.  

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post: 

The Athens Board of Elections now has two drop-off boxes for mail-in ballots. (The Post)

Ohio’s basketball coach Jeff Boals introduces a new Impact t-shirt. (The Post)

Get a closer look at the Scripps Hispanic Network. (The Post)

Athens Weather 

We can expect a warm, cloudy day with low chances of scattered precipitation throughout. There will be a high of 77 degrees and a low of 55 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know... 

California will ban the selling of gas-fueled cars starting in 2035. (Sacramento Bee)

Over 300 whales are dead after a mass stranding in Australia. (NPR)

Google Maps has begun showing COVID-19 statistics. (Engadget)

@elifeaz  

ef195418@ohio.edu