‘Lovecraft Country’ continues to spin the tale with only three episodes left in the season. (Photo provided via @lovecrafthbo on Instagram)

TV Review: Hippolyta is the star in “I Am”

If you’ve been watching Lovecraft Country since its premiere, you know that above all else -- this show is ambitious. From week to week, concepts may not be executed perfectly, but there will undoubtedly be an attempt to shock you, whether that be through the genre shifts each week or by giving more backstory, development and attention to its cast of characters.

This week’s episode, "I am”, continues that promise by sending Hippolyta (Aunjanue Ellis) on an over-the-top sci-fi adventure, putting her in the spotlight for an engaging feminist romp through time and space.

The story starts with her finally arriving at Ardham, inspecting the ruins to no avail. She and Diana (Jada Harris) head back home with no secrets from the brotherhood, but a stroke of genius gives her insight to unlock the orrery.

This would prove instrumental later, but for a moment, the episode peels back to its other characters. There are a few crucial developments. First, we pick up from where Ruby (Wunmi Mosaku) and Christina (Abbey Lee Crenshaw) left off.

Christina shows Ruby that she’s able to transform into William and Hillary because they use their dead bodies as the basis for the transformation potion. Ruby is introduced to the concept of the Sons of Adam and it’s implied that Christina lets Ruby in on more secrets.

They’re not the only romantic pairing that share important updates, though.

Leti (Jurnee Smollet) and Tic (Jonathan Majors) share a dream, one of his grandmother running from the fire of the destroyed Braithwaite mansion. Leti is consumed by flames the same way Tic was, except this time, it comes from her belly up.

Obviously, this foreshadows pregnancy, but that’s to be seen if it develops.

The couple comes to learn some more clues about the book of names and in search of more answers, goes to Montrose’s (Michael K. Williams) apartment, where Montrose and Sammy (Jon Hudson Odom) are sharing a romantic breakfast. Of course, it doesn’t last long.

Sammy cooks bacon, but Montrose complains that he doesn’t eat pork. Sammy cooks grits, but Montrose complains that they’re too runny.

Sammy eventually decides to just leave, frustrated that Montrose is pushing him away again, but as they rush into the hallway -- Leti and Tic are waiting for them. Sammy leaves. Tic gets angry at his father, calling him a homophobic slur and piecing together the truth about his father.

Leti stays behind, gathering more clues and figures out that a crucial clue resides in his old family’s house in St. Louis. Tic decides to go there, but the story then returns to Hippolyta who has figured out how to use the real life orrery.

She’s intruded on by two white cops, and comically, Tic shows up, somehow coming from St. Louis to Mayfield in a matter of hours without a car. They have a short skirmish, Hippolyta shoots one in the chest while Tic throws another into a portal that’s opened from the orrery.

Before they can get their bearings, Hippolyta is sucked into the portal as well.

What ensues after is a time-traveling adventure where Hippolyta gets an opportunity to realize her biggest dreams, starring alongside Josephine Baker in Paris, fighting as an Amazonian Queen against confederates and finally, being able to tell George her frustrations before embracing and going to space.

Her adventures are all in the goal of realizing her true personality, ambitions and she has an amazing quote where she says, “I feel like they just found a smart way to lynch me without me noticing the noose,” in reference to how American, patriarchal society has constricted her.

At the end of the episode, she makes the decision to go back home, to her daughter and family, and Tic comes out of a portal of his own with a book titled “Lovecraft Country” by George Freeman. He leaves as more cops are showing up, the orrery stops working but the last shot of the episode is the copy of one of Diana’s comic books under the bleeding cop's body.

Next week’s episode promises to pick up where this one left off and with only three episodes left in the first season, there’s no telling where Lovecraft Country may go next.

af414219@ohio.edu