Vanessa Bryant sues Los Angeles sheriff over leaked crash scene photos; OU students complain about COVID-19 testing logistics

Today is Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Vanessa Bryant is suing Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva and his department after information was released that eight deputies were allegedly taking personal photos on their cell phones of the bodies of Kobe Bryant and Gianna Bryant at the scene of the helicopter crash on Jan. 26, 2020.

In the 21-page complaint, it says, “The images soon became talked about in the department, as deputies displayed them to colleagues in settings that had nothing to do with investigating the accident. One deputy used his photos of the victims to try and impress a woman at a bar, bragging about how he had been at the crash site.”

The sheriff directed deputies to delete photos from their devices, but no further follow-up or standard collection was conducted. The widow of the NBA legend learned about the photos from a story in the Los Angeles Times.

“The Sheriff’s Department’s outrageous actions have caused Mrs. Bryant severe emotional distress and compounded the trauma of losing Kobe and Gianna,” according to the lawsuit. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University students complained of long wait times and other issues at OU’s COVID-19 testing location. (The Post)

Here are all the best rap verses from the past decade (The Post)

Out-of-state and international students give their perspectives on online synchronous classes. (The Post

Athens Weather

It’s going to be a beautiful fall day in Athens! Today will be mostly sunny with no precipitation and a high of 78 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The Louisville Metro Police Department declared a state of emergency Monday ahead of Attorney General Daniel Cameron’s announcement of the Breonna Taylor case. (News Nation)

Archaeologists unearthed 27 sarcophagi in an ancient Egyptian city that has been sealed for more than 2,500 years. (Business Insider India)

Here’s the story behind the rise of Schitt’s Creek (Los Angeles Times)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu