Alexander's offensive lineman and defensive lineman Michael Wells (#67) waits in between plays during the third quarter of a match against Vinton County High School in McArthur, Ohio, on Friday, Sept. 25, 2020.

High School Football: Michael Wells embraces the role of "babysitter" in his senior year

Michael Wells is the “babysitter” of Alexander’s offensive line.

Jokingly given the title by coach Earich Dean, Wells is tasked with leading the rest of the line as the only senior in the group.

Looking out for his own assignments, while making sure his fellow linemen are taking care of their own tasks, is a tough task for Wells, but he knows that his team needs him to go the extra mile, and he’s more than willing to step up.

“It takes a lot of hard work,” Wells said. “It’s just making sure that they know what they’re doing and then also knowing what I’m doing. I help them first because they’re more important, they need it more, then I work my way to myself and my responsibilities.”

The offensive line tends to have the least glamorous positions in football despite consistently having one of the most important roles, and it is no different with the Spartans. With Alexander being a rushing attack offensively, Wells and the offensive line hitting their blocks and creating holes for the rusher is the first step to offensive success.

Dean knows how important the offensive line’s success is to his offense’s success, and the rushers make sure to show their appreciation whenever possible for the line’s work in the trenches to make the offense churn.

“Every time we had a big run, I thanked my line,” Xander Karagosian said after Alexander's 30-0 win over River Valley on Sept. 18. “If they didn’t get those blocks, I wouldn’t have had any space. It starts with them.” 

If the offensive success starts with the offensive line, then their success begins with Wells. But that isn’t where his job ends.

On the other side of the ball, Wells has lined up opposite fellow pass rusher Logan Neal, and the two are tasked with getting to the opposing quarterback and taking him down. One of the strengths of the team, the duo causes a lot of pressure and have forced errant passes and even a couple of interceptions this season.

Having to deal with both Wells, Neal, and Drew Harris, who plugs the middle of the defensive line as the tackle, allows one of them to have an easier time getting to the quarterback. So far in 2020, it has been Wells, as he leads the team in sacks.

“I get the sacks because everyone else is working just as hard as me,” Wells said. “Having Neal is really helpful, his presence has allowed me to be put into the spotlight and get to the quarterback more often, so I really appreciate him and his hard work.”

Wells’ senior year has been filled with ups and downs, even before the season even started, as it looked like he wouldn’t get a chance to play his final year of football due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Once the season finally got started, Alexander got very limited practice and scrimmage time together, and with the Spartans being such a young team, that missing time was crucial to the chemistry and makeup of the team. Without that extra time, Alexander would have to rely on some experience that was not there yet for most of the team.

The Spartans have struggled in 2020 as a result, and Wells and the rest of the seniors will play their final game on Friday. And while not having a chance at postseason football hurts for Wells, the fact that he got to play his last season at all means so much to him.

“Playing this season has meant everything to me,” Wells said. “I don’t care what has to be done, I wanted to play. If we had to stand six feet apart, if we have to have our masks on, it doesn’t matter to me, as long as I get to play football.”

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports