Here’s the Tea: The Democrats are being run over in Congress

There have been many moments where the U.S. government was not for the American people, and Thursday was one of those moments. 

Republicans within the Senate Judiciary Committee voted 12-0 for the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, despite the Democrats boycotting the vote. The vote went ahead since the majority of committee members were present. With this troubling information, it brings to light that the effectiveness of the Democrats in Congress is waning. Our lawmakers— the group who make the laws—boycotted?

Democrat Senators boycotted the vote which sent a message that they refused to cooperate, albeit ineffective and ultimately hurting the American people. In boycotting, the Democrats did not obtain the intended result of blocking Judge Barrett’s nomination. If Barrett is confirmed, the Supreme Court would be 6-3, conservative, with the ability to reverse any legislation that supports vulnerable and minority populations. Since Democrat Senators refused to show, therefore not opposing the nomination, it appears on record that everyone favored Barrett’s nomination. To quote Utah’s Republican Senator Mike Lee, the boycott was a “walk out on the American people.”                                                                

During the hearing, Democrats sent mixed messages. They did not aggressively question Judge Barrett. Barrett’s hearings were extremely mild-tempered and pleasant in which California Senator Dianne Feinstein, a top Democrat on the committee, hugged South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham, the Republican committee chair. She further told him that this was one of the best hearings to-date. These statements do not support earlier Democrat statements of the entire hearing being bogus.

It is important to note that Graham opposed filling a Supreme Court vacancy leading up to the 2016 election, especially not after the primaries had started, during Obama’s presidency.  

The lack of Democrats using effective levers to thwart actions to ensure the courts are predominately conservative, attributed to the fact they could not block this supreme court nomination. Instead of appealing to their fellow swing-state Republicans, the Democrats ultimately conceded. Americans cannot afford these continued actions that will have lasting impacts decades from now, while Republicans continue to pack the courts to eliminate pre-existing conditions from healthcare coverage, Roe v. Wade and Obergefell v. Hodges.

While Democrats control the House of Representatives, the Democrats in the Senate actions are continuously thwarted at every turn. It is difficult for the American people when the House votes on legislation to go to the Senate to die.  

Americans are tired of the back and forth, complaining and inactivity. It is time for Congress to do what it was supposed to do: represent the people’s interests.

Iana Fields is a sophomore studying English creative writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Iana? Tweet her @FieldsIana.