‘I am Easy to Find’ ties together thoughtful lyrics with a healthy mix of piano and guitar throughout. (Photo provided via American Songwriter). 

Album Review: The National’s ‘I Am Easy to Find’ is not your typical folk-themed fall album

The National, an American rock group formed of Cincinnati, Ohio, natives, has rightfully earned its place as a front-running U.S. alternative rock band, ever since “I Need My Girl” debuted in 2014 and lit up the radio-friendly alternative scene of the early 2010s.

I Am Easy to Find is certainly not as folk-themed as other albums released during the fall, as it uses an abundance of synth beats. It’s no secret that lead vocalist Matt Berninger’s voice carries a haunting tone in his singing and is a staple in every album the band releases. Berninger ties the album together with thoughtful lyrics and a healthy mix of guitar and piano throughout. The album’s ethereal, electronic-driven sound visualizes light shining through orange and red trees as fall reaches its peak. This makes listening on a cold day with a hot cup of coffee in hand sublime and ideal. 

Here are the best tracks from I Am Easy to Find:

“Quiet Light”

This song goes through the motions of heartbreak and loneliness but still embodies an upbeat, easygoing tone. It opens with downright depressing lines, “I used to fall asleep to you talking to me / I don’t listen to anything now / Nothing to do with us,” signifying the emotions of a recent breakup. However, its chorus talks about learning to cope with that loneliness.  

As autumn bears new feelings and emotions, the track is sure to guide listeners through different sensations. Its crisp nature matches the feeling of the changing weather.

“Oblivions”

When listening to this song, think of nothingness. It speaks to the monotonous patterns and reassurances of love as relationships progress into an unsure place — a place The National calls “Oblivions.” The lines “It’s the way you’re gonna stop needing to tell me / You want me as much as I want you to tell me” encompass the main theme of the song and leave room for a vulnerable dialogue within the reader’s mind. 

The song is perfect for a fall drive with the electric guitar guiding the song’s tranquility and giving it a dreamy quality. It still, however, adheres to the album’s tone with mixtures of both synth beats and guitar. 

“I Am Easy to Find”

“I Am Easy to Find” really takes the cake when it comes to perfect songs to listen to in nature, as it exhibits many natural noises. 

The song opens up with a chorus of bug/frog noises before transitioning into the main piano chord progressions, giving the listener a sense that they are enveloped in nature. It is perfect to listen to while walking along a trail covered in dead leaves by a river or lake.

Its lyrics talk about the vulnerability of waiting for someone to change and come back. In the end, it fades out with the lyrics “I’m still waiting for you every night with ticker tape, ticker tape.” These lyrics, paired with Berninger’s deep tone, are haunting and foreboding to any listener. 

As Halloween nears, the lyrics and production on I Am Easy to Find are a great listen for the season.

Rating: 3.5/5

@aleccharron 

ac833416@ohio.edu