Netflix released ‘Hubie Halloween’ on Oct. 7, 2020. (Photo provided via @hubiehalloween)

Film Review: ‘Hubie Halloween’ is one of Adam Sandler, Happy Madison’s worst films

Adam Sandler has produced and starred in some of the greatest films made by his production company, Happy Madison. Turning out films like 50 First Dates, Grown Ups, Just Go With It and The Longest Yard, Sandler has brought lots of laughs and heartfelt storylines to his audiences. 

Happy Madison’s latest venture, Hubie Halloween, has hit an all time low for the production company. However, this may not be as surprising as you might think. 

The film is set in Salem, Massachusetts and follows Hubie (Adam Sandler), the town’s devoted volunteer, who is in love with Halloween, working to keep Salem safe. Hubie is relentlessly bullied and in the midst of the Halloween pranks, he finds himself in the middle of a real investigation for murder. 

Was anyone surprised that Adam Sandler put another film like this out? No. The concept is right up Sandler’s alley, although viewers were surprised with the lack of the usual charm and hilarity that audiences find in his films. However, this shouldn’t have shocked people after Sandler specifically said he would make a terrible film following not receiving a nomination for his role in Uncut Gems

Was he robbed for that role? Absolutely. And he knew it too — when he went on The Howard Stern Show and said, "If I don't get it, I'm going to f***ing come back and do one again that is so bad on purpose just to make you all pay. That's how I get them."

And got us he did. The storyline is so ridiculous and Sandler’s character is wildly annoying. However, Sandler did serve fans by bringing in a whole mess of the Sandler crew, including Noah Schnapp, Paris Berelc, Bradley Steven Perry, Kelli Berglund, Peyton List, Julie Bowen, Karan Brar, China Anne McClain, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, Steve Buscemi, Maya Rudolph, June Squibb, Shaq, Ray Liotta, Kenan Thompson, Tim Meadows, Colin Quinn, George Wallace, Melissa Villasenor, Kym Whitley, Mikey Day and even his wife and daughters, Jackie, Sadie and Sunny. 

The film quickly turned into a game of two parts: first, how many familiar faces we could spot while watching, and second, how many uses Hubie’s thermos had. Both were the only parts that made watching the film truly enjoyable. 

It’s true though, Hubie Halloween packs an important message of anti-bullying and spreading kindness. Not to mention the Halloween overload throughout the film that would get any sane person excited for the holiday and the season. 

For all of the Sandler and Happy Madison Productions fans out there, I won’t judge you for watching Hubie Halloween. However, it’s definitely one of the worst that Sandler has produced and starred in. However, I don’t think any of his movies can be worse than Jack and Jill, so at least there’s one you beat, Sandler.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu