Photo provided via Jackie O's Facebook page.

Jackie O’s teams up with Planned Parenthood for fundraiser

Jackie O’s Public House Restaurant, 22 W. Union St., recently held a fundraiser with Planned Parenthood. With the creation of a craft beer titled “Who Chooses For Me,” Jackie O’s has been able to support the Athens Health Center for a number of years now. 

With the event taking place for over 10 years, Jackie O’s and Planned Parenthood had to find a way to make it happen amidst COVID-19 regulations and guidelines. Jackie O’s had to think outside the box for the execution of the fundraiser. The staff decided to move the fundraiser online. The crafted beer was offered for purchase digitally. 

The beer started online sales Oct. 2. On Oct. 10, their annual “Beer and Cheese Incident” was hosted virtually. With the money made before and during the fundraiser, Jackie O’s annually donates a portion to Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio.

The residents of Athens look forward to this event and Jackie O’s has consistently generated enough business to make the fundraiser annual.

With the home mentality, Jackie O’s works to create an amazing atmosphere for their guests — even if it looks different this year.

“Jackie O’s is an amazing restaurant, with a great atmosphere,” Delaney Baker, a senior at Ohio University studying forensic chemistry, said. “Not to mention, their staff is great too.”

With the supportive environment they offer to students and Athens residents, Jackie O’s was able to continue to gain support through a screen this year.

Laurel Powell, director of media relations and advocacy communications at Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio, spoke on how this partnership aids in building an engaged town with lasting support.

“We are always looking for opportunities to partner with the local community,” Powell said. “As an important part of the health care network in these areas, we always want to find new opportunities to let folks know ‘Hey, you know, we're here.’ We can be an evaluated healthcare provider for you. And we're also just always trying to find ways to connect with the community and hear what people are concerned about and, ultimately, being here for what they need.”

Planned Parenthood also creates a welcoming atmosphere and this fundraiser helps reinforce and direct more attention to what the health clinics provide. 

Patty Stokes, a women’s gender and sexuality studies associate professor at Ohio University, is affiliated with the rape crisis center in Athens and lives only blocks away from Jackie O’s. She too has been adamant about this fundraiser and raising a healthy stereotype for Planned Parenthood.

“Five years later, the rape crisis center is thriving — one of our supporters has been Jackie O's,” Stokes said. “I think it just goes to show that they have a track record of supporting projects that support women.”

However, this support did not come without struggle. Planned Parenthood carries many services, little of which are abortions. With the battle for and against abortion, Athens gets caught in the crossfire.

“(Athens’) Planned Parenthood has never provided abortions, to my knowledge,” Stokes said. “Not in the 20 years that I've lived here. They get caught in the crossfire and the defunding that occurred by the state of Ohio. I'm not sure how bad that it hit. But I'm sure that private donations are more important now than they were in the past.”

With the donations of businesses like Jackie O’s, Planned Parenthood can continue to support women. The annual “Beer and Cheese Incident” creates a safe space for people to gather and enjoy a conversation over a craft beer.

“Without their work, like these events, (fundraisers) wouldn't happen and they certainly wouldn't be as successful,” Powell said.

@kkayyben

kb084519@ohio.edu