1 dead, 9 ill due to a listeria outbreak linked to Italian deli meat; early voting prevails in Athens

Today is Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Nine individuals are currently ill and hospitalized, whereas another is dead, due to a listeria outbreak linked to Italian packaged deli meat, federal health officials said. 

The meat has sickened 10 individuals across three states, including seven from Massachusetts, two from New York and one from Florida, where the death was reported. 

The CDC has announced that no specific meat has been confirmed to be the cause of the illnesses. However, nine of the individuals said they consumed “Italian-style meats, such as salami, mortadella and prosciutto.”

Those who are at higher risk for falling ill from listeria are pregnant women, adults 65 or older and people with weakened immune systems. If one does not fall in this category, the CDC has said “you are unlikely to get sick from Listeria."

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Read more about the prevalence of early voting. (The Post)

Defensive tackle Kai Caesar has much to share about himself and the season. (The Post)

After We Collided promotes toxic relationships. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be another bleak, cloudy day with a high of 61 degrees, and showers are likely to come at night. It’s another perfect day to stay in and cozy up in bed. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

PEN America, the literary and human rights organization, is set in December to honor the teen who recorded George Floyd’s murder. (ABC News

The Postal Service is encouraging voters to send their ballots in no later than today to ensure their vote is casted. (USA Today

Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton are finally engaged after five years of dating. (CNN)

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu