Existential Binge-Watching: ‘The Walking Dead: World Beyond’ needs tuned up

October 2010 seems like yesterday when looking back on The Walking Dead. And I don’t think fans, or even Robert Kirkman himself, would’ve been able to predict the cultural phenomenon it would become in the span of a decade; let alone the fact that a second spin-off would be premiering after the tenth season’s finale this past weekend.

The season finale of the flagship show was done well; conflicts were resolved, gory walkers attacked, and just enough was left unanswered to build some suspense for what is now the beginning of the main series’ endgame. Then came the show’s second spin-off, The Walking Dead: World Beyond, which kind of felt like it was trying to convince viewers to like it.

The premiere delivered on what’s been talked of up to this point. The sheltered kids who have grown up only knowing a world where the dead aren’t truly dead were introduced, the CRM’s beginnings as the new universe big bad were established and it really did feel like a different take on a show set in the gruesome world of the dead that fans have come to know and love. Visuals were great, the production value was fantastic, it was all there.

Yet, throughout the entire premiere, I couldn’t help but feel I wanted more.

The main problem might be stemming from the fact that World Beyond feels like it has a much more specifically younger demographic in mind in comparison to the other two series in the current universe. It looks, plays and feels very much like a teenage-oriented show in the style of what’s commonly seen on the likes of Freeform. It makes sense considering the premise of the show, but it doesn’t necessarily make sense to cater only to that younger audience.

The Walking Dead itself has always had elements that appeal to a wide range of viewers. Horror and guts has constantly been intermixed with wholesome moments that have even given way to laughter at times. Through the show’s ups and downs it’s always managed to strike a perfect balance that had a little bit of everything for everyone that may be tuning in.

Its new spin-off, though, comes off in a way that feels like it’s simply trying too hard to be a lot of things. The voice-over monologues seem to be trying a bit too hard to be poetic. The injections of humor seem to be trying a bit too hard to be funny or iconic. Some characterizations seem to be trying too hard to fit a mold or even break one. Instead of embracing its position as a new show, it’s like the writers of World Beyond are too worried and trying to do too much at once.

Even the actors left a bit to be desired. Some fit their personas well, such as Nicolas Cantu’s quirky and analytical Elton or Hal Cumpston’s awkward but loveable Silas. They were strange, but in a way that wasn’t overboard. The two leading Bennett sisters, however -- Aliyah Royale’s Iris and Alexa Mansour’s Hope -- were either a little stale and cringey in Royale’s case or, in line with the overall feel of the show, trying too hard to be the edgy rebel type in Mansour’s case.

All that said, this was only the premiere. It’s always a good idea to start off on the right foot, but there’s plenty of time for this series to course correct and tighten up the writing and acting a little bit. It still has a lot of potential, and can still be that strong connecting link to what is currently an ever-expanding Walking Dead universe. The cast, writers and producers just need to get a bit more comfortable in their new shoes.

They don’t need to try so hard to be meaningful or unique. Fans of The Walking Dead want this new show to succeed and want it to live up to its fullest potential. It just needs to settle in, find its own groove and dial back on some of the on-the-nose writing or overtly Freeform-esque elements. 

There’s definitely no reason to write off the show quite yet and it’s still well worth checking out. With some slight adjustments and a bit more control over its individualized stand-out elements, The Walking Dead: World Beyond has the potential to deliver another strong and intriguing entry into the universe of The Walking Dead. It’s just not quite there yet.

Jackson Horvat is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.