Universities continue to cancel spring break; here’s how the Mothman Museum is continuing events during the pandemic

Today is Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Spring break is another annual tradition that has become the latest prey to COVID-19 for most college students. Universities across the U.S. are responding to the pandemic by scrapping the week-long break from their academic calendars in hopes of limiting travel and mitigating a spike in coronavirus cases.

Just this week, the University of Maryland, the University of Oklahoma, Florida State University and Boston University have all announced schedule changes that delay the Spring Semester a week or finish the semester a week early.

“When we brought students back to campus in August, we saw an uptick in cases, which we expected and planned for appropriately,” the University of Oklahoma's Chief COVID Officer Dr. Dale Bratzler said in a statement. “The combined impact of influenza and COVID-19 spread could be incredibly detrimental to our campus and surrounding community.” 

Among other schools, those that are partaking in the precautionary measure are the University of Michigan, The Ohio State University, the University of Iowa, the University of Florida, Indiana State University, the University of Tennessee and Baylor University.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Learn about how the Mothman Museum is continuing events during the coronavirus pandemic. (The Post)

Here’s what you need to know about WOUB filmmaker Evan Shaw, who makes documentaries about small towns in Southeast Ohio. (The Post)

Making a trip to Cleveland soon? Here are the best and most underrated places to check out. (The Post

Athens Weather

It’s a beautiful fall day in Athens! Today will be sunny with no precipitation and a high of 78 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

President Donald Trump announced Tuesday that he has rejected the latest stimulus proposal and will not negotiate on a coronavirus aid plan until after the election. (AP)

Skai Jackson dedicated her latest Dancing with the Stars performance to her former co-star Cameron Boyce, who died from epilepsy in July 2019. (Pop Sugar)

Rock legend Eddie Van Halen died of cancer Tuesday morning. (The Washington Post)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu