The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: 53 cases reported last week; OU sees 5.2% positivity rate in asymptomatic testing

Last week there were 53 COVID-19 cases reported in Athens County, down from the previous week where 79 cases were reported.

There was only one hospitalization reported last week, but there were two more deaths reported in the county, bringing the total to four. The deaths include three men in their 60s and one woman in her 70s, according to data from the Ohio Department of Health.

In the county, about 79% of cases are made up of people under 30 years old. At the state level, this number is at about 33%.

Athens County remains an “orange county,” or a level two, on the Ohio Public Health Advisory. 

Athens County’s ICU beds are at about 47% capacity, with about 9% being used for COVID-19 patients.

Ohio University has tested 5,775 employees and students through its asymptomatic testing, according to OU’s COVID-19 dashboard, which was last updated Nov. 4. Of those tested, 303 were positive, which is about a 5.2% positivity rate.

The university is also testing students and employees who are symptomatic. There have been 1,176 students on the Athens campus tested, 592 of which have been positive. There have also been 138 employees tested, 11 of which have been positive.

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu