Friendsgiving

5 ways to host the perfect festive, spirited Friendsgiving

The beloved holiday of Thanksgiving is among us, meaning so is good eating, good company and giving gratitude for all there is to be grateful for. However, with the ongoing pandemic, some families, especially older members like grandparents, are skeptical about gathering to celebrate. Justifiably, the younger generation is more apt to host and attend these seasonal festivities, meaning a “Friendsgiving,” whether virtual, or in person, is an excellent idea. Here are 5 ways to make the special occasion exceptional: 

Make an invite list/Zoom link 

Before the actual date of the party, make sure as a host (whether that be of a Zoom meeting or an actual house owner), you are prepared for how many people will be showing up so there is no confusion. Most people like to know the tentative date at least a week in advance so they can contemplate and decide whether they are able to make it or not. This way, they can accommodate around their schedule, or even suggest an alternative date that works better for the majority of guests. Having a set amount of people will also allow for no surprises the amount of people attending. Be sure you have all the necessities to entertain the confirmed number. (I.e. having efficient seating arrangements, enough room in your house/apartment, games and a sufficient bulk of food.) 

Make it potluck style 

Unless you are a certified chef, or absolutely love cooking, whipping up multiple dishes for your guests can be a hassle. By having each friend bring a dish, a lot of stress is eliminated as a host. Also to everyone’s advantage, each side brought, is made by a different person, which implies everyone’s unique cooking style will take center stage. Of course there will be that one person who brings a mediocre store-bought side. 

As for what dishes should be present, we recommend all the classics: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, salad, cornbread and pumpkin pie. Feel free to put your own spin and heart into each recipe to ensure it is made with love. Spirits are also an inferred prerequisite. Try stepping away from stereotypical drinks, and instead put a holiday spin on them. Experiment with these beverage recipes: Caramel Apple Cider Mimosas, Thanksgiving Punch (cocktail or mocktail style) and Pumpkin White Russian Cocktail

For those congregating virtually, make your favorite dish and drink, enjoy them alone and chat with your best pals via Zoom! 

Set up decorations and a photo booth 

When surrounded by merry decorations, most individuals are sure to become cheerier and more in the holiday spirit and mindset. With a few simple decorations such as fall candles-- we previously recommend these -- dinner placemats, and a spruced up wall with some streamers and potentially a ‘Give Thanks,’ or ‘Happy Friendsgiving’ banner, your space is guaranteed to liven up the event. Have your friends dress up to allow everyone to feel frilly and lavish. When you look good, you feel good. Take some photos around the décor to capture the enjoyable memories to post on the Gram and save as memorabilia. 

Play some games

Games are the perfect activity to bring everyone together in order to have a superb time. Card games seem to be everyone's favorite, so a simple deck of cards will suffice to play games like Irish Poker, BS, Spoons and King’s Cup. Other fun games include the old time charades -- which requires nothing but your imagination -- and the store bought “Cards Against Humanity”, “What do You Meme”, “Incohearent” and “Who’s Most Likely to.”  

Make a playlist 

Lastly, if there is anything that can determine the vibe for the night, it’s music. Great music calls for great memories involving everyone singing, belting and dancing along to throwbacks, party bangers and timeless classics. Text your friends in advance and ask for some of their favorite songs, then, compile all of them into one large playlist. Grab a speaker, plug your music in and get to throwing and hosting the most perfect Friendsgiving yet! 

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu