Kamala Harris makes history as first woman of color as Vice President-Elect; here are some of the best deals for Black Friday

Today is Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Senator Kamala Harris is making history as the first woman, first Black and first South Asian Vice President-Elect.

In an acceptance speech on Saturday, Harris told the audience the importance of democracy. “We the people have the power to build a better future,” Harris said. “And when our very democracy was on the ballot this election with the very soul of this nation at stake and the world watching, you ushered in a new day for America.” 

Harris focused on fundamental changes that will happen under Biden and Harris administration, such as listening to scientists.

“Because now, is when the real work begins,” Harris said. “The hard work, the necessary work, the good work, the essential work to save lives and beat this epidemic, to rebuild our economy so it works for working people to root out systemic racism in our justice system and society.” 

In the last few minutes of her speech, Harris acknowledged there will have to be a cultural shift in America for change to be successful. “We have elected a president who represents the best in us,” Harris said. “And a president for all Americans.” 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Black Friday is right around the corner. Here are four of the best deals. (The Post)

Despite the delay of The North End’s grand opening, the restaurant’s owners, David and Jen Cornwell, are excited to get the ball on a roll before the start of 2021. (The Post)

Learn about how COVID-19 diagnoses are impacting mental health. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be warm and sunny. There won’t be any need for an umbrella or coat! The high will be 78 degrees and low of 50 degrees at night. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Tropical Storm Eta is strengthening as it moves toward Florida Keys and South Florida. (NPR)

Now that Joe Biden is the projected winner of the 2020 presidential election, here’s what happens next. (AP News)

Harry Styles, Billie Eilish and Florence Welsh will appear in a Gucci seven-part mini-film series. (The Loop)

@ritchey_grant 

gr619615@ohio.edu