Mental Health Mondays

Mental Health Monday: How COVID-19 diagnoses impacted mental health

Almost every physical aspect of 2020 has been affected by COVID-19, not to mention the mental aspects as well.

As many people are reeling from just the thought of getting the virus, those who have had it said it has certainly been an experience for their mental health — in a positive and negative way.

Like any diagnosis, a mix of many emotions can run through people: surprise, sadness, concern and many others can really take a toll on one’s mental health.

“I had a feeling that I had gotten it and was very sad when I found out,” Rebecca Breckel, a Cleveland resident, said. 

As well as being a sad awakening, it came as a surprise to some. Especially Medina resident Elizabeth Scott. 

“I was very surprised that I had it because I was very cautious,” Scott said.

It also caused many to be concerned for those around them to not get it.

“I wasn’t really surprised because I had been feeling super sick, but I was also worried about my roommate getting it from me,” Kaitlyn Booher, a junior studying Spanish and political science in the Honors Tutorial College, said.

While finding out that one has the coronavirus can be extremely emotional, one of the hardest parts mentally to some was the quarantine period.

“I felt so extremely lonely and the fact that I couldn’t smell or taste would even upset me more,” Scott said.

Throughout this year, the limited contact has really done a number on individuals’ mental health. Being isolated and distant has left many feeling lonely and depressed.

“It was extremely hard,” Breckel said. “Not only could I not go to work, but I couldn’t see most of my family and loved ones.”

For many, it’s been a continual process to bounce back from a tough place mentally – even as they begin to recover from the virus.

“Going to the gym has the biggest positive impact on my mental health,” Scott said. “Not being able to do that while I was sick made me upset, but I did a lot more stuff like walk with my dog instead.”

For others, this time apart from others has truly given them a better sense of their mental health.

“It taught me a lot. I have to take time away and really focus on me and calming me down,” said Breckel.

Some individuals were also fairly surprised at how much this time has done for them mentally, in a good way. 

“I really was doing much better overall with my mental health than expected,” Booher said. “I slept a lot but also got ahead in my classes, watched movies and FaceTimed with my friends so it really wasn’t too bad.”

The quarantine process is only about 10 days. For Booher, Breckel and Scott, those 10 days proved to be some of the best and worst in 2020.

“If I’ve learned anything, it’s that I can’t let the negatives and the pain take over and bring me down,” Breckel said. “That’s what truly gave me the hope and strength to feel better.”

@abby_brown20

ab852019@ohio.edu