MsKissy Prints' logo outside of The Plains' shopping mall on 70 N Plains Rd. in The Plains, Ohio.

MsKissy Prints is not the average retail store

MsKissy Prints is not like a traditional retail store. Within the business, like many others, lies heart, community and dedication, but its main goal is to create shirts based on people’s needs and wants.

MsKissy Prints, 70 N Plains Rd., opened in The Plains on Nov 1. Christy Grogg, owner of MsKissy Prints, wants to grow her business in the rural areas in order to create affordable and accessible clothes. She plans to create an outlet that allows people to dress how they want and be who they want.

Grogg’s business started when COVID-19 began. She started by making masks. There were designs and patterns to fit the wants of others. She wanted to start making masks that she could sell with the goal of providing for the community, and her household. 

MsKissy Prints is also sponsored by HEART Mobile CPR, a CPR training network through the American Heart Association. In fact, Grogg provides CPR and first aid classes for a two-year certification along with her business. 

“She is one of our trainers,” Shawna Bobst, owner of HEART Mobile CPR, said. “We do everything we possibly can for our trainers to get them going. We give them the equipment; we try to help them.”

Bobst has provided a plethora of support to her trainees and helps them start their own business. With their help, Grogg is able to provide CPR and first aid classes. Therefore, she can create a place for education and style.

“I'm happy for her,” Bobst said. “She'll do the BLS and CPR the first day at training, and we think it's super important that these things are out there and people are learning how to save lives.”

The future goal of MsKissy Prints is to eventually become a retail store. But as of now, the store is accepting walk-in orders and over the phone inquiries, while following masked guidelines.

To add on to the extravaganza, a raffle will take place every month. The monthly raffles will be based on the present month and the needs of the community.

The month of November holds three raffles: A Thanksgiving dinner, a free CPR and first aid certification, and a shirt and sweatshirt of the winner’s choice. The tickets are one for $1 or six for $5.

Building a business involves support – Grogg has had support from family and friends throughout her journey. 

“From the beginning, when she started her business, she had a vague plan of what she wanted to do with her business, with herself and with reaching community goals,” Cedric Roberson, one of Grogg’s family members, said. “She plans to give back to the community, whether it was through a nonprofit or donation. Ultimately, the vision that she has for her company is amazing.”

Grogg loves what she does for the community, but also makes sure to use her business as an avenue for people to express themselves through clothes.

“The style is not our display of wealth but an impression of oneself,” Grogg said.

@kkayyben

kb084519@ohio.edu