Ohio will commemorate its 1960 National Championship team with throwback uniforms on Saturday (Ohio Athletics)

Football: Ohio unveils throwbacks commemorating the 1960 national championship team

The Bobcats are going to look pretty groovy Saturday. 

After a week of teases on social media, Ohio unveiled Friday the throwback jerseys it plans to wear against Bowling Green. The look is inspired by the uniforms the 1960 NCAA National College Division Championship squad wore. 

In his third season as head coach, Bill Hess led the Bobcats to an undefeated 10-0 record. Led by Robert Brooks and All-American Dick Grecni, Ohio shut out five teams and outscored opponents 269-34. The dominant season was capped off with a Mid-American Conference Championship and a small college National Championship (United Press International stopped awarding the title in 1972). 

It’s no coincidence that the Bobcats decided to wear their new duds against Bowling Green. The highlight of the Bobcats’ season that year was snapping Bowling Green’s 18-game winning streak on the road 14-7. 

Ohio coach Frank Solich might try to harness some of that old magic Hess had back when he was coach. Solich and the rest of the Bobcats’ assistant coaches will sport polos reminiscent of the ones Hess’ staff wore also with a 60th anniversary commemorative patch. 

Ohio (1-1, 1-1 MAC) comes into Saturday’s game against winless Bowling Green (0-3, 0-3 MAC)  off an 18-day layoff. Solich said earlier in the week the guys were “revved up to play again.” Ohio will make the MAC Championship if it wins its next three games against the Falcons, Buffalo and Kent State, respectively. 

If Ohio were to win the MAC Championship, it would be the school’s first since 1968. 

And yes, Bill Hess was the coach. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu