Ohio forward Gabby Burris (No. 41) dribbles past Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis forward Macee Williams (No. 50) on Dec. 7, 2019.

Women's Basketball: Bobcats kick off 2020-2021 season against Liberty

Ohio will start its season against Liberty in The Convo on Wednesday at 1 p.m. There will only be a few fans in attendance as the Mid-American Conference announced its attendance policy that will give each of the players four tickets to give to family members.

Wednesday will be the first-ever meeting between the Bobcats and the Flames. Liberty finished 20-11 last season with an 11-5 conference record. It won its last eight games of the season.

Ohio’s season abruptly ended after the MAC Tournament was canceled in March. The Bobcats were two wins away from a MAC title after beating Western Michigan in the quarterfinals. 

The Bobcats return three of their five starters from last year’s team. The spots vacated from last season will be up for grabs. Caitlyn Kroll will likely take one, and either Peyton Guice or Jasmine Hale will be expected to fill the other.

Here’s what you need to know about the season opener:

Game Information

Opponent: Liberty (0-0)

Place: The Convo (Athens, Ohio) 

Time: 1 p.m.

How to Listen: WOUB 1340 AM 

Meet the opponent

Head Coach: Carey Green (22nd season)

Probable Starters

01 Kennedi Williams

12 Ashtyn Baker

15 Audrey Clark

23 Emily Lytle

34 Bridgette Rettstatt

Why does this game matter?

The first game of the season isn’t usually a must-win game, but Ohio needs to be impressive during its shortened non-conference schedule to solidify its chances at a potential NCAA Tournament berth. This will also be the first game-like situation the Bobcats have had this season, since they weren’t able to have a scrimmage before the season. Ohio will also be figuring out who will be able to step up and replace the two 3-point shooters that left last season.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu