Sam Smith released his third album on Oct. 30, 2020. (Photo provided via @OTDMdotcom on Twitter)

Album Review: Sam Smith’s 'Love Goes' encourages dancing the pain away

Sam Smith is known for making breakups bearable, and their new album is no different (Smith uses the pronouns they/them). Smith's third album Love Goes captures all phases of a breakup while still keeping an upbeat tempo and a somewhat positive outlook on what's to come, even if it's just for the night. Smith describes love as passionate, dramatic and real. 

The album’s opener “Young” is an angelic acapella that talks about being a free-spirited individual without being tied down to anything or anyone. Their lyrics speak about getting wild and even “a little high,“ but it's perfectly okay because that is what being young is about. For a mostly dance pop album, this calming song was a great introduction into Smith’s outlook on love. 

“Promises (with Calvin Harris)” continues this eccentric and youthful attitude, making no promises to a partner except for the night. The lyrics describe, “I make no promises / I can't do golden rings / But I'll give you everything (Tonight).” The loneliness has built up to where Smith wants someone, even if it's not forever. The pre-released single “I’m Ready (with Demi Lovato)” speaks about taking a risk in love after being hurt many times before. Both Lovato and Smith sing how they are ready for someone to love them both and they are ready to be treated properly. 

“Diamonds” is an electronic dance track that speaks on a materialistic love. This is one example of the amazing falsetto that Smith uses throughout the album, but is somehow controlled with ease. “Dance (‘Til You Love Someone Else)'' also uses disco beats to tell the tale of trying to recover from a breakup. Smith describes that “They say you can't fall out of love 'til you love someone else,” so until then they will dance the pain away. 

While the majority of the songs on the album discuss Smith’s recovery stages during a breakup, “Another One” speaks of actually moving on from a toxic relationship and still wishing well for that partner. The lyrics, “God I dodged a bullet / I ran fast right through it / I love myself too much to fight you” explains the urgency of getting out of this previous relationship. They also hope that their ex partner treats new partners well, because Smith knows exactly how that feels. 

“So Serious” gets real about emotions taking over at the worst possible times. Despite being broken up and moved on from a relationship, Smith still gets sad sometimes and reminiscences on the good times with a former lover.

Ballads like “To Die For” and “Love Goes (ft. Labrinth)” are essential tracks to the album because it shows Smith taking down the persona of being okay. It shows that not all problems can be solved with a little dancing and a one night stand. They show a different side of accepting that they are hurt and the search to find love while being so. This vulnerable side is needed in order to explain all events and emotions of a breakup. 

Lastly, “My Oasis” shows Smith finally finding love, even if they know it's bad for them. Smith sings, “My feelings gettin’ deeper / My mind is in a free fall / But there’s nothing I can do when it comes to you.” The lyrics describe a complex situation where you still find comfort in someone you know is playing with your emotions.

Some might argue that Smith only writes about negative experiences with relationships, but that's what they do best. Smith is able to describe the difficult pain of moving on from a lover in a way that everyone can relate to. The album is not aggressively sad or morbid, but still sits with listeners. 

We are pressured sometimes to fight through the pain and just smile and dance our sorrows away. And while that works for the majority of time, we fall apart and need to collect ourselves. Once we do, we can continue our search for love and the cycle continues. Smith was able to battle through this familiar tale, and it resonates with everyone who has ever been in love. 

Rating: 4/5

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu