The collection features a wide variety of artists, collaborating in order to speak out against inequalities and gain audience’s support for these movements. (Photo provided by @Jarinademarco via Twitter). 

Album Review: ‘Sound the Alarm Vol. 1: Louder Feelings’ is needed during times of social and political injustice

This past year brought attention to many social and political issues across the nation. And as many showed their support through protesting and posting on social media, one record label took another approach to encourage support. 

Pop Can Records recently released the album Sound the Alarm, Vol. 1: Louder Feelings, a compilation album of political, social justice and protest songs. The collection features a wide variety of artists, collaborating in order to speak out against inequalities and gain audience’s support for these movements. 

The album’s opener, “American Pie” by ill peach is a punk rock song that speaks true to country pride and the American spirit. It speaks on how American pride is not all that it’s cracked up to be, but we continue anyways because we are sick with pride and do not know otherwise. Its rebellious nature foreshadows the rest of the collection’s ability to speak freely on taboo topics.

This defiant attitude against social injustice carries to rock songs “Meat” by Sednah and Tony Kill, and “Needle and Suture” by G. Smith. Each carries the message that punk rock was built on: speaking out without regard for what other people think. And while every song on the album is by a different artist, each one was able to convey that motto. Some might be more aggressive in delivery than others, but they are all able to get their message across. 

Although its message promotes social equality and diversity, the album itself is also diverse based on its artists and song genres. As “Ilegales (feat. Dylan Brady)” by Jarina De Marco uses loud electronic pop to speak on how poorly undocumented immigrants are treated in America, Safe Jazz’s “People Are People” uses lo-fi beats to create a more calming effect to describe how little respect people treat each other with, both in this country and globally. 

This year, the most notable example of political and social justice movements would be of the Black Lives Movement. DWY’s “Black Boy” tells a dark but familiar tale of the discrimination that black men face and the violence that they endure. The jazzy and soulful track captures the heartaching tale as the lyrics describe, “they killed another black boy, his body on the street side, his mama on TV crying.” 

Despite having written it one year prior, DWY still believes the song’s message is more prevalent today and more necessary for today’s audience to support. 

“It felt the most urgent than it has in a long time,” DWY said. “Seeing that this year it was a part of everyone’s lives globally, it felt more urgent than ever.”

DWY also said that although this album is targeted toward a younger audience, “Black Boy” speaks to both young black men and their parents on tragic events. 

“I will never know the feeling of losing a child,” DWY said. “No parent ever wants to outlive their kids. I want this song to say that I see you and I support you. To the people that do not feel seen, I want this record to be the one that sees how you feel.”

In addition to the album’s message about speaking out against social injustices, it also will raise funds for Street Watch LA, an organization that fights for tenants' rights and against homelessness in Los Angeles. 

With the upcoming election upon us, the urgency of protesting against injustice is essential in making a difference. The diversity of the album’s artists and genres allows for everyone to be able to relate to a song and encourages them to support social justice and protest movements. The album is able to speak to injustices that every American has faced. The collection truly has something for everyone. 

Rating: 4/5

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu