Pondering With Patterson: Twitter, Instagram accomplished nothing with their newest updates

“Don’t fix something if it isn’t broken.” This is a philosophy that is typically applied to decision-making and life as a whole. Altering a situation when nothing is wrong can very easily have negative consequences. It’s important to consider this and factor it into the thought process.  

Another area of implementation: updating social media applications. As social media users, we are used to routine and often find our thumbs naturally gravitating to where buttons are … or are supposed to be. Updates throw a loop into routine. While there are times that exciting new features come from an update, more often than not, inconveniences overpower the experience.

In terms of recent app updates, Instagram’s latest, which was launched on Nov. 12, has stirred up quite the controversy. The typical buttons that lay at the bottom of the screen have been replaced by “Reels” and “Shop” functions. With that, the option to create a new post has left front and center and been placed in the top left hand corner. 

As is the case with most news reactions today, Twitter certainly had a lot to say about the update. Simply searching “Instagram update” on Twitter makes it clear that many Instagram users are not happy about this alteration. Unfortunately, running to this “Twitter safe space” quickly came to a halt with surprise: another update. Unfortunately, still lacking in the ability to edit a tweet. 

On Tuesday, Twitter launched its new update incorporating “Fleets,” which are essentially Twitter’s version of a story. Following the familiar story pattern, each “Fleet” lasts for 24 hours when posted. The stories sit at the top of the homepage and do not cause many problems in terms of moving other features around. It is because of this that Twitter’s update seems to be going over a little bit better than Instagram’s but is not stopping users from making jokes comparing the two.

Prior to both application’s updating, each one did not have problems. It’s safe to say Twitter users did not necessarily long for the story option, and Instagram users had the “Reels” and “Shop” features available in other places that did not greatly disturb the general appearance. Sure, Instagram and Twitter have generated lots of conversation with these changes, but it is not strictly in praise. Fixing an item when it is not broken will cause just that. 

Lauren Patterson is a sophomore studying journalism. Please note that the views and ideas of columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lauren? Tweet her @lpaatt.