Weekender Briefs: Join OU Hillel for virtual Shabbat, submit artwork to Women of Appalachia

Friday, Nov. 13

Virtual Shabbat at 6 p.m., hosted by Hillel at Ohio University via Zoom. Join OU Hillel for a student-led, virtual Shabbat. Although the event is online, students are still encouraged to lead prayer, offer a D'var or contribute musically.

Admission: Free

Saturday, Nov. 14

Prescribed Fire Training at 11 a.m. hosted by Woodcock Nature Preserve at 5975 Marshfield Road. Learn about safely prescribed fires at the Woodcock Nature Preserve. The class is intended to get people up to speed on volunteering with Woodcock Nature Preserve on their prescribed fire program. Participants are encouraged to bring a camping chair and dress in layers. Masks are required.

Admission: Free, $10 suggested donation

Cat's Pajamas Clothing Exchange Donation Drop-off at 12 p.m. hosted by Rural Action and UpCycle Ohio Community Makerspace at 751 W Union St. Donate clothing and get a ticket for the Cat's Pajamas Clothing Exchange. Although this yearly Athens tradition has been delayed by the pandemic, Rural Action and UpCycle Ohio are still planning to provide a safe and innovative way to donate and “shop.”

Admission: Free to donate clothing and for Makerspace members; $15 for the public

Dressy Owls at 1 p.m. hosted by The Dairy Barn Arts Center via virtual meeting. Make a hand-stitched, felt owl with Ann Judy. This family-friendly virtual class allows participants to learn basic art skills while creating a personal dressy owl. Participants need to buy a kit containing supplies for the class, which can be picked up in a no-contact location at the Dairy Barn.

Admission: $20 for non-members, $17 for members

Walking Tour of the Historic Athens Asylum at 2 p.m. hosted by the Southeast Ohio History Center, 100 Ridges Circle. Walk and talk about the history of the famed Athens Asylum, the renowned landscaped grounds, historic cemeteries and the evolution of mental health treatment from the inception of this storied institution with long-time Asylum employee George Eberts. The tour will last for roughly two hours and will occur rain or shine.

Admission: $15 for Southeast Ohio History Center members, $18 for regular non-member adults, $10 for students with a student ID, free for children 12 and under.

Sunday, Nov. 15

Women of Appalachia Project Fine Art Exhibition Submission Deadline at 11:59 p.m. hosted by The Dairy Barn Arts Center virtually. Submit artwork to this all-media juried exhibition by Nov. 15 at 11:59 p.m. The 12th annual exhibition will feature literary, visual, and performance art created by women. The form for submission can be found on the Dairy Barn’s website, here.

Admission: $35 for non-members, $25 for members and students

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu