Court Street in Athens, Ohio

As COVID-19 cases rise, Athens businesses prepare for students to return for Spring Semester

As COVID-19 numbers continue to climb in Athens County, Athens business owners are coming up with ways to safely handle the increased business from the expected influx of students returning to campus in the spring. 

Businesses across the country have experienced mandatory shutdowns and decreased patronage this year. Athens local businesses suffered a blow when most Ohio University students, who make up the majority of the city’s population, were not permitted to be on-campus this semester. 

However, things may be looking up for small businesses in the spring. 

The population of Athens is set to increase following President Duane Nellis’ announcement that residential students may opt to reside on-campus during the Spring Semester. As of late November, 3,315 students have chosen to live in on-campus housing. Only about 1,500 students lived on-campus during Fall semester.

Donkey Coffee and Espresso, a popular study location for OU students, was hit hard at the beginning of the pandemic. Even after reopening following a mandatory closure, the cafe continued to offer carry-out only for four months, resulting in the layoffs of 18 of 22 total employees.

Even with the reduced student numbers on campus during the fall, business for Donkey Coffee has been better than expected, resulting in the rehiring of all but two employees. 

Despite the expected increase in business for Donkey Coffee during Spring Semester, the owners plan on keeping seating at one-fifth of capacity, with most available tables placed approximately 12 feet apart. Tables will continue to be cleaned after each use, utilizing laminated sheets that customers can turn over when they leave indicating that the table needs to be sanitized. 

Online sales of merchandise – which according to co-owner Chris Pyle have increased by nine times the previous amount – are expected to remain influential.  They are also considering the option of extending business hours again once the semester begins.

It can be difficult for students to find safe and open activities when taking a break from studying during the pandemic. Athena Cinema has continued to provide entertainment to students online, though it is closed for in-person business.

Virtual films, events and additional programming are currently being offered by the cinema for community members. 

Though revenue has decreased since moving business online, the well-being of patrons and staff remains top priority. Through grants and outside funding, the cinema has been able to maintain its full staff, Managing Director Alexandra Kamody, said.  

Though Athena Cinema has not yet determined whether it will open in-person for Spring Semester, an increase in student participation is expected, whether virtual or not. 

“We think that students, and all community members, will be looking for a creative outlet and eager to share their joys, anxieties, fears and more — through the art of cinema and the experience of going to the theater,” Kamody said in an email.

Big Mamma’s Burritos is expected to see more OU students back in Athens, while prioritizing health and safety. 

“We look forward to that increase in business. We have plenty of folks and we're well equipped,” Jerry DePizzo, co-owner of Big Mama’s, said. “We look forward to extending our hours and putting more people back to work.”

To accommodate the decreased business and lack of dine-in services, Big Mamma’s has extended their menu to include hotdogs, called Tommy Dogs, and now provides service through third-party services such as Doordash. They also recently revamped their online ordering system.

Surfaces in the restaurant are sanitized every 30 minutes, with all staff and customers required to wear masks and maintain a six-foot distance while inside. Any employee who is exposed to the coronavirus or displays symptoms is required to stay home and have proof of a negative COVID-19 test before returning to work. 

DePizzo said he is proud of the team’s willingness to abide by the guidelines, and the very limited number of exposures and cases among employees.

“When we have experienced an issue, we have been able to handle it and keep everybody healthy and safe,” he said.

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu