Disneyland to make the Jungle Cruise less racially insensitive; cost of dorm living increased for Spring Semester Ohio University students

Today is Tuesday, January 26, 2021. Here’s what you need to know.  

Good morning, 

Ever since 1955, Jungle Cruise has been one of Disneyland’s most consistent attractions and was even overseen by Walt Disney. Monday, Walt Disney Co. announced it will be making the attraction more inclusive after years of complaints. 

Non-Americans are depicted as submissive savages in the storyline and as characters. Human figures from the regions of Asia, Africa and South America are shown in a negative light as exotic and violent. The Jungle Cruise will shift from a cartoon-like and outdated presentation to displaying other cultures with an inclusive perspective. The changes are expected to be completed this year. 

This is not the only change being made by Disneyland. It will be updating other outdated attractions such as Splash Mountain, that was inspired by the racist film Song of the South. The remodel will instead be themed based on the movie, The Princess and the Frog. This movie is noteworthy because it featured the first Black Disney princess. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The Athens County Food Pantry will begin a program that will serve communities through mobile van food deliveries. (The Post)

Here’s how to watch OU Men’s Basketball’s game against Western Michigan today. (The Post)

Here’s what you need to know from the Athens City Council meeting. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be warmer than usual with a high of 49 degrees and cloudy skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab

You might also want to know…

Senator Rob Portman will retire after completing his term. (NPR

Gold mine explosions in China cause the death of 10 workers. (Associated Press)

The Prime Minister of Italy will resign, leaving the government likely to collapse while COVID-19 is still prominent. (The New York Times)  

@colant_juliana

jc079419@ohio.edu