‘Navigating PWI’s and Discrimination’ presentation given to OU students

One of the big challenges that Ohio University faces is its predominantly white history and the implications that come with it. 

Those implications can be difficult for students of color to figure out and navigate. 

“This matter is certainly one that many in our campus community are thinking about,” Gigi Secuban, vice president of division of diversity and inclusion, said.

The Women’s Center was ready to discuss these implications with students in a presentation given on Wednesday, Jan. 27.

The presentation was given by Soraya Membreno, a graduate from Williams College with a degree in English.

Membreno shared her experiences as a first-generation student of color in her school made up of a majority of white students.

“It was hard,” Membreno said. “It was the first time in my life that I truly understood what it feels like to be alienated and singled-out.” 

Membreno’s presentation mainly focused on advice to help students of color navigate their experiences in a predominantly white college.

But what exactly does it even mean to be a predominantly white college? Membreno says it’s when 50% of the institution's population is made up of white students.

This percentage can pose a real challenge to those students who are considered the minority in the institution.

“We have lots of work to do to ensure that ours is a university where all of us can thrive,” Secuban said.

Throughout the presentation, Membreno shared five pieces of advice for what students can do, not only for the university, but for themselves.

Those five pieces were mainly about exclusivity, allowing space for oneself, asking questions, asking for financial aid and being bold.

Of those five topics, there was one main overarching theme to it all.

“There is room for all of us,” Membreno said.

This is a particularly tough notion for students who may feel unrepresented or misrepresented at the college they attend.

“It is hard, and isolating, to have your identity being defined for you,” MaryKathyrine Tran, assistant director of the Women’s Center and organizer of the event, said.

Throughout the presentation, students of color learned of ways they can really be involved in figuring out their education and making the most of it, more specifically at OU.

The university has many programs in place to help those students who have faced these issues and help represent those who may feel unrepresented.

"You are in a space where you have access to the most information in your life; use it," Tran said.

Secuban believes these programs and continuing to ask the important questions will help make a better college experience.

“We must be especially diligent in supporting students whose experiences of rasicm, sexism and other forms of discrimination, place them at a real disadvantage with their peers,” Dr. Secuban said. 

With all this being said, Secuban, Tran and Membreno pose the question: What does this mean for white students? What can those white students who want to help break this stigma and be involved in helping those students of color do?

“As a white student, talking about the things that really matter and things you can speak up against,” Membreno said.

Membreno knows it’s a hard thing for any student to think about, but even those smaller scale conversations can be a big difference to those students of color.

“Also just listening and being a friend who can listen is really good too,” Membreno said.

By listening and being a voice for the voiceless, students can not only navigate college better, but be able to navigate the real world better.

“Obviously these are not simple overnight changes, but whatever we can do to try and make the experience better for those who need it is really good,” Tran said.

As Secuban mentioned, OU and many other predominantly white colleges still have a lot of work to do. However, she knows in order for an institution to be better, there has to be change for the student’s experience.

On the whole, the presentation left many students enlightened and opened their eyes to ideas they never thought about before. It also made many students of color more confident in their decision of OU.

“If I leave you with one thing, it’s that you’re not just lucky to be here, you deserve to be here,” Membreno said.

@abby_brown20

ab852019@ohio.edu