Black Lives Matter nominated for Nobel Peace Prize; find the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for your significant other

Today is Tuesday, February 2, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

The Black Lives Matter movement has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Norwegian member of parliament Petter Eide nominated the movement for “their struggle against racism and racially motivated violence,” he wrote in the official nomination papers.

The Black Lives Matter movement began with a hashtag in 2012 after the shooting and death of Trayvon Martin in Florida. Since then, it has changed the way people talk about police brutality, inequality and racial justice.

The movement was rekindled days after George Floyd was killed by police in Minneapolis in May 2020. It continues to shine a light on systemic racism and police brutality across the country.

Online, supporters of the movement are using it to spread the message against police brutality and resources for people to support, and globally it’s being used to show solidarity with Black people and the fight for racial equality.

“BLM's call for systemic change has spread around the world, forcing other countries to grapple with racism within their own societies," Eide said.

The deadline for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize’s submission is Feb. 1. The winner will be chosen in October 2021, and the award ceremony is scheduled for Dec. 10. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s what happened at city council this week. (The Post)

The 18th annual John Knouse Groundhog Hike begins today and runs through Valentine’s Day. (The Post)

Looking for the perfect gift for your significant other? Here’s a list based on their love language. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

J.L. Kirven, Jack Gleckler and Tee Willis talk basketball in the newest episode of Necessary Roughness. (The Post)

Ohio will travel to Mount Pleasant, Michigan to face Central Michigan on Tuesday. (The Post)

Ohio Hockey begins its season against Lindenwood today. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today is mostly cloudy with a 20% chance of snow showers in the morning and no precipitation at night. The high is 32 degrees and the low is 19 degrees, so make sure to look closely for the groundhog today. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Joe Biden is meeting with 10 GOP senators regarding a COVID-19 relief proposal. (CBS)

AirPods Pro are back to their lowest price at Woot, $10 cheaper than the competition. (The Verge)

As protesting farmers clash with the police, India cuts the internet around New Delhi. (CNN)

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu