U.S. Customs inspectors find cocaine-coated cornflakes; Ohio University launches Cultivating Change Campaign

Today is Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021. Here’s what you need to know. 

Good morning, 

In Cincinnati, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers seized a shipment of cereal earlier this month. The shipment contained 44 pounds of cocaine-coated corn flakes. It was being shipped from South America to a home in Hong Kong. 

Bico, a narcotics dog, first alerted officers of the package when sniffing a freight from Peru. Officers inspected further and found a white powder in the cereal and the flakes coated in a grayish substance. Both substances tested positive for cocaine. 

Cincinnati Port Director Richard Gillespie stated that smugglers try to conceal narcotics in anything imaginable and that inspectors will “use their training, intuition and strategic skill” to halt suspicious shipments.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University launched a campaign to provide necessary tools students need to cultivate a more civil lifestyle. (The Post)

The Ohio Department of Health created a website that shows COVID-19 vaccine locations. (The Post)

Here’s what you need to know about Ohio’s upcoming men’s basketball game against Akron. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s finally getting warmer, Athens! Today will be cloudy with a high of 46 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Texas family files lawsuit over death of their 11-year-old son. (BBC

After 28 years, the music duo Daft Punk officially splits. (CNN

An inflammatory syndrome linked to COVID-19 targets children and is growing more severe. (The New York Times

@colant_juliana

jc079419@ohio.edu