(FILE) Cars drive down Court Street in Athens, Ohio, on Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2020.

Coronavirus: Statewide curfew lifted

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced Thursday the statewide curfew in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 has been lifted.

The announcement comes following 10 days of Ohio’s COVID-19 hospitalization numbers being below 2,500.

“If hospitalizations begin rising again, @OhioDeptofHealth may reinstate it,” DeWine said in a tweet. “It's crucial that we all continue safety protocols to #SlowTheSpread and prevent hospitalizations from going up.”

The 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew — originally announced Nov. 17, 2020, with a start date of Nov. 19, 2020 — was an alternative solution to a statewide lockdown. Though originally set in place for three weeks, the curfew was extended for over two months. 

Under the curfew, businesses could remain open for carryout or delivery services, and citizens could leave home for work, medical care, emergencies and other necessary services, according to a previous Post report

Two weeks ago, DeWine shortened the overnight curfew to 11 p.m. through 5 a.m. as Ohio coronavirus hospitalization numbers declined. 

With the curfew lifted, Ohio businesses may remain open past 11 p.m. for in-person services, allowing many restaurants and bars to resume normal hours of operation. 

Lucky’s Sports Tavern, 11 N. Court St., plans to return to pre-curfew business hours Thursday, remaining open until 2 a.m. 

“Personally, I’m very excited,” Lucky’s bartender Jackson Hughes said. “It’s more hours and more opportunities to make more money, so I can’t complain about that.” 

Lucky’s may look to hire more employees depending on how its current staff is able to adapt to the new hours, Hughes said.

Cat’s Corner, alongside Lucky’s, celebrated the curfew announcement on Twitter while reminding guests COVID-19 guidelines are still in place. 

“This is it! Daddy Dewine says we can party all night!!! Well until 2am, so drink water, eat, & take a nap, tonight we drink,” the bar tweeted. “Masks are still required & all other social distancing guidelines must be followed. Do not move chairs, all tables & chairs are spaced for your safety.” 

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu