The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: 332 Athens cases over past two weeks, Ohio curfew shortened

There are currently 548 active cases in Athens County, with 332 cases in the past two weeks. 

Athens remains in the level three “red zone,” which indicates a very high rate of exposure and spread. The total number of cases in Athens County so far stands at over 4,000. 

Of the cases, 40.8% have been amongst people younger than 30. There have been no reported COVID-19 deaths in 2021.

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine recently changed the Ohio nightly curfew to 11 pm. to 5 a.m., which took effect Thursday, Jan. 28. The curfew was previously 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.. The change came as a result of falling COVID-19 hospitalizations in Ohio.

As of Jan. 26., Athens ICU beds are at 63.6% capacity with 19.7% occupied by COVID-19 patients.

Over 1,000 Athens residents have received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Beginning this week, K-12 employees operating in-person are eligible to receive the vaccine as a part of Phase 1B of the Ohio vaccination plan. Ohioans age 70 and older are also eligible beginning Feb.1, according to a previous Post report.

The university has tested 649 students through its asymptomatic testing program, with 17 testing positive. 

Currently, 10.81% of quarantine housing and 23.53% of isolation housing is in use according to the University’s COVID-19 dashboard as of January 28. 

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu