Ohio COVID-19 numbers are falling, the overnight curfew has been lifted; here’s how Athens is celebrating Valentine’s Day with COVID-19 restrictions

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced on Thursday the conclusion of Ohio’s curfew that began on Nov. 19, 2020 and was subsequently extended on Dec. 10 and Jan. 2.  Many businesses are now able to extend their business hours to allow by several hours, the first of many steps to close gaps in lost revenue caused by the ongoing pandemic. 

COVID-19 hospitalizations reached an all-time high on Dec. 15 at 5,308 and have since fallen 65 percent to 1,862 according to the Ohio Department of Health. The curfew ends as the Ohio Department of Health is in the process of updating nearly 4,000 deaths that had been underreported.

Many healthcare facilities are seeing less staff out sick as vaccinations are taking place across the state. As of  Wednesday, Ohio had fully vaccinated nearly 375,000 people, totaling about 3.2 percent of the state population.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s how Athens is celebrating Valentine’s Day with COVID-19 restrictions. (The Post)

Ohio Softball kicks off its season today. Check out the Bobcats' season preview (The Post)

Here are some eco-friendly reminders before buying your valentine a gift this year. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another winter’s day! Make sure you bundle up as the high will be 36 degrees with mostly cloudy skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The third day of Trump’s second impeachment trial is done, here’s where it stands. (CNN)

Six people were killed in a 130-vehicle pileup on an icy Texas interstate on Thursday. (AP)

The CDC announced that people who have been fully vaccinated no longer need to quarantine after potential exposure to someone with COVID-19. (NBC News)

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu 

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director