Ohio University's, Maggie Nedoma (23) hits the ball during the game against Central Michigan University on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021, in Athens, Ohio. The game was postponed due to the power outage and resumed Saturday.

Volleyball: Numbers to know from Ohio's 3-2 loss against Akron

The Bobcats have yet to win out in a series this season. 

After defeating Akron 3-1 on Thursday, the Bobcats fell to the Zips 3-2 (25-15, 12-25, 19-25, 25-14, 7-15) in a hard-fought match on Friday night. This is Ohio’s second loss this season and only their second loss to Akron in 15 years. 

Here are the numbers to know from Friday night’s match: 

66

The Bobcats (2-2, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) earned a total of 66 points in their second match of the season against Akron (2-4, 2-4 Mid-American Conference), but it wasn’t enough to get the win. 

Even though Akron’s total points earned was two points less than Ohio’s, Akron found a way to win points in crucial moments during the match. This was especially true during the decisive fifth set when Akron earned two service aces in a row, followed shortly thereafter by two kills to take a 10-5 lead. Akron went on to win the fifth set 15-7. 

30

Sam Steele had a collegiate career high 30 digs on Friday, bringing her total number of digs this season to 108. Not only is Steele good at getting under the ball to make plays, she is also good at getting around the ball and making big saves for the Bobcats as well. Her speed was evident on Friday as she moved all around the back row and dove to keep plays alive. Steele is looking to have a promising volleyball career at Ohio University if she can continue to put up numbers like this. 

57

Even in her senior season, Tia Jimerson does not seem to be slowing down anytime soon. In just four matches this season, she has knocked down a total of 57 kills. Jimerson’s approach at the net has been consistently strong. Her ability to attack the ball at a fast pace does not give her opponents much time to get under it for a dig, making her unstoppable. In 2019, Jimerson was awarded the MAC player of the year and may be on track to win the award again. 

There are six days until Ohio’s next match of the season. The Bobcats will get a chance to face off against Buffalo in a two-game series at home. Ohio has plenty to adjust in the next six days, including working to attack around the block at the net. Ohio allowed a total of 21 blocks (one solo block and 20 assisted blocks) in their match against the Zips on Friday. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu