The Patton College of Education is hosting a continuation of their Munch and Learn series

Ohio University’s Patton College of Education is hosting a Munch and Learn series this semester. Similarly, last semester, Patton hosted an Anti-Racism series. This semester, to continue addressing these crucial issues, the topic is Global Issues on Immigration: Mobilizing to Advocate for and Build Inclusive Communities.

All OU students are welcomed and encouraged to join in on this impactful Munch and Learn series, which takes place on Feb. 8, March 8, March 22 and April 12, from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m each day.

“This work aligns with our PCOE 2029 Strategic Plan where we seek to prepare well-educated and highly skilled global citizens who can succeed and thrive beyond traditional boundaries,” Renée Middleton, Dean of Ohio University's Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education and Human Services, said in an email. “It enriches who we are as a nation when we can bring diverse cultural perspectives into formal and informal learning environments.”

This series provides an opportunity for students to listen to a panel of educators from all over and learn more about societal issues while educating viewers on how they can use their voice. Students are able to gain perspective through the process of listening to the panelists, moderator and people in the strategic focus areas.

“As part of the Patton college strategic plan, we have priority areas, and priority areas of our strategic focus,” Dr. Beth VanDerveer, Associate Professor in the Patton College of Education, said. “Our priority areas –– we have academic excellence, rigorous, influential research and exemplary student-centered services. They have vibrant outreach, engagement and partnership.” 

Within Patton’s diversity and inclusion committee, strategic areas of focus are chosen in order to promote the embracement of diversity and leadership.

“These can be controversial areas, topics, trends, issues that we're bringing forward,” VanDerveer said. “We have diverse panelists from different perspectives that we've brought in. I think that it's been really something that is really great for the community and the institution –– and we've had a lot of support. We've just found it really worthwhile.” 

First semester, the Anti-Racism series allowed for students from OU to join while asking and answering questions.

“Being able to have some opportunity, or a platform, to speak about something you're pretty confident about and you invested a lot of time into is definitely verifying,” Camilla Hibbard, a sophomore studying special education, said. “You have to get out there.”

Hibbard was involved in the Anti-Racism series. She shared that her experience allowed for a great deal of learning and understanding, and gave her the opportunity to meet many inspiring people who would encourage learning about these important topics.

“If you're really afraid of getting up in front of people or messing up, the pressure, I would say, is a lot smaller –– just camera-to-camera,” Hibbard said. “It's great to get out of your comfort zone, once or twice, and you make great connections to other people. On my panel, I was able to talk to (the other people), and, of course, they offer different perspectives on this topic. You kind of get to grow and even learn new things about why you're talking about this cause.”

By challenging students to step out of their comfort zones, the Munch and Learn events take an in-depth look at problems affecting everyday society and how students can develop a growing environment. 

@kkayyben

kb084519@ohio.edu