Donald Trump was acquitted in his second impeachment trial; OU has officially made a TikTok account

Today is Monday, February 15, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

On Saturday, former President Donald Trump was acquitted after his second impeachment trial. The vote ended in a conclusive 57 guilty, and 43 non-guilty. The votes were exactly ten short of the 67 required to impeach Mr. Trump. 

The whole trial started on the issue of Donald Trump being accused of inciting the U.S. Capitol riot, on Jan. 6. Many Democrats, and a few Republicans, believe that he was “practically and morally responsible for provoking this event,” as worded by the Senate minority leader. A shocking factor in this trial is that GOP senator, Mitch McConnell, chose to acquit Donald Trump. This may come as a surprise to many, considering that Mr. McConnell criticized him for things such as election fraud and the U.S. Capitol riot violence, in the past. 

However, seven Republicans did choose to convict the former president. This may be due to Mr. Trump’s speech that took place right before the Jan. 6 riot, where he explicitly said, “we fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.” These words are what lead most people to believe that he lighted the spark for his supporters to start this atrocity. 

The argument that is being made declares that other Democratic elected officials have used the word “fight” in their speeches, as well. Many believe his words are not associated with the actions of his supporters. To sum up everything that has been stated so far, this is the second impeachment trial that has failed to prevent former President Donald Trump from  being re-elected again in the future. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University has officially made its way onto TikTok. (The Post)

Having a roommate can be especially difficult in a time like this, where online classes overlap, and distraction is often present. (The Post)

The Dairy Barn is finally offering pottery classes in February. (The Post)

Athens Weather

You may have to stay indoors for this one! With a high of 26 degrees, Monday night is looking like the temperature will drop to a low of 18 degrees, where snow is likely too. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Rochelle Walensky, the director of CDC, officially states that teachers are not required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. (FOX)

A report of “family trouble” in Rochester, New York, leads to a 9-year-old African American girl getting pepper-sprayed while being put in the back of a cop car. (AP)

Brooklyn’s borough president, on Saturday, reported two stabbings and two injuries on a New York City subway line. (NBC)

@OliviaR22915570 

lr330519@ohio.edu