7 things you didn’t know you could make in an air fryer

If you have been on social media at all the past month, then you know air fryers are all the rage. The compact and quick-cooking abilities of an air fryer are enough to make your oven file for unemployment. 

For starters, an air fryer is a small countertop convection oven. It mimics the results of deep-frying without submerging the food in oil. Another selling point is air frying is healthier than oil frying. According to WebMD, air frying cuts calories by 70%-80% and a lot less fat. 

Vegetables and protein, like chicken, are commonly air fried. But, curiosity is getting the best of people, as social media is blowing up with videos answering  the question “can it be air fried?” If you’re interested in trying to air fry something new, look no further. Check out our list of things you didn’t know you could make in an air fryer:

Oreos

Deep-fried Oreos are a fair food staple. Thanks to the air fryer, you don’t need to find a fair to enjoy this decadent treat. Make deep-fried Oreos from the comfort of your home with three ingredients: crescent roll dough, powdered sugar and Oreos. Find the full recipe here.  

Pickles

Deep-fried pickles but make it healthier. Get the satisfying crunch and crispiness of fried pickles without all the oil. It is best served with your favorite dipping sauce (I suggest ranch). Click here for a recipe. 

Salmon

Chicken and burgers can be air fired, but what about fish? Calling all pescatarians, you’re in luck. Fish can easily be air fried and it is delicious. Salmon cooks simple and quick in the air fryer. Here is a recipe that is sure to become a weeknight dinner staple. 

Apples

Apple chips make a sweet snack for any time of day. Slice apples, toss in oil and sprinkle with cinnamon. See the full simple recipe here.  

French Toast  

Breakfast is made easy with air fryer french toast sticks. No need for a pan, just toss the coated bread into the air fryer. Here is a recipe to get you started.  

Loaded french fries

Whether it's game day or the late-night munchies, loaded french fries hit the spot. Throw frozen fries or fresh cut potatoes into the air fryer. At the end, throw on toppings of your choice like cheese, bacon or sour cream. Here is a full recipe.  

Hard-boiled eggs

I know what you’re thinking, hard-boiled eggs in the air fryer? It can be tricky, but yes, it can be done. Cook the eggs on low heat for about 16 minutes, no boiling pot of water required. Read more tips and get full directions here.  

Bonus tip: Replace your toaster with an air fryer. An air fryer gives the perfect crisp toast on bagels and sandwiches.

@colant_juliana

jc070419@ohio.edu