Smartmatic launches multi-billion dollar lawsuit; two OU faculty members on team publishing largest collection of space research

Today is Friday, February 5, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Smartmatic, a producer and implementer of electronic voting systems across the planet, has filed a lawsuit against Fox News and Rudy Giuliani, the former lawyer of President Trump. The lawsuit alleges defamation from the cable network and lawyer, following claims of election fraud during the 2020 U.S. presidential election cycle. The electronic voting company is seeking $2.7 billion in damages.

Smartmatic filed the lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court on Thursday. Though the Fox Corporation is a multi-billion dollar operation, $2.7 billion would total about 15% of its total value. 

The 2020 U.S. presidential election was a battleground for misinformation and baseless claims of election fraud –– almost exclusively targeting companies such as Smartmatic and Dominion Voting Systems, another election technology company. For companies such as these, reputation is everything.

“This is a first step in trying to recover our reputation and trying to set the record straight,” said Antonio Mugica, the Smartmatic Chief Executive.

Other people cited in the lawsuit against the Fox Corporation are anchors Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro. Sidney Powell, another lawyer who aided Trump’s election fraud claims, is included as she was a guest on Fox News and made various statements surrounding the integrity of Smartmatic machines.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

People are still partying amidst the pandemic. Here’s how the University is handling those events and bar-goers. (The Post)

Ohio University faculty Nathaniel Szewczyk and Sarah Wyatt are part of a research team credited with publishing the largest set of astronaut and space biology data papers ever.  (The Post)

Valentine’s day is all about romance, but date night might look different this year. Luckily, Netflix has its collection of romance films for you. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another winter’s day! Make sure you bundle up as the high will be 34 degrees with clouded skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Plug Power is bringing a ‘green hydrogen’ plant to the Town of Alabama, New York. (Buffalo News)

California is opening its first federal vaccination sites for COVID-19. (US News)

More actors and celebrities are pivoting to podcasts. (Vanity Fair)

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu 

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director