Answers are finally given on the fourth episode of ‘WandaVision’ (Photo provided via @RottenTomatoes on Twitter)

TV Review: Episode four of ‘WandaVision’ includes familiar Marvel faces, Easter eggs

It seems as though “Lieutenant Trouble,” also known as Monica Rambeau, lived up to her name. In Avengers: Infinity War, half of all living things were erased from existence in an event called “The Blip,” including Rambeau. In her absence, her mother Maria built the Sentient Weapons Observation and Research Division (S.W.O.R.D.), the sister agency to S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Monica wastes no time in getting back to work following The Blip, but is assigned to Westview, a small town that supposedly doesn’t exist. FBI Agent Jimmy Woo makes an appearance, flaunting a card trick he desperately wanted to learn in Ant-Man and the Wasp featuring Paul Rudd. 

The magic act was one of the various Easter eggs that producers had left in the episode referencing previous Marvel productions. Audiences also get Dr. Darcy Lewis (Thor) and are left with a jaw-dropping image of Vision, one that caused Wanda to restore the illusion of her sitcom.

While this episode barely touched on the characters inside the town, seeing faces from different phases of the MCU was a pleasant surprise. Questions that had built up all the way from episode one were answered individually and swiftly. Scott Derrickson, director of Doctor Strange, offered a “sneak peak” of sorts into the show’s horror future with Vision’s corpse and strategic framing. 

Derrickson previously worked on Sinister, a 2012 horror film that left audiences on the edge of their seats. “Phase Four” of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be focusing on superhero television shows as well as movies, and so far, it seems to be working. 

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu  

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director