Weekender Briefs: Attend OU-sponsored movie night, volunteer to fix Hickory Trail

Friday, Feb. 19

Linguistics Colloquium | The Southern Ohio Language Project: Where We Are Today at 12:55 p.m., hosted virtually by Ohio University’s College of Arts and Sciences. Explore language in Southern Ohio with Michelle O’Malley and the 2021 Southern Ohio Language Project Lab Team. The team’s work has focused primarily on raising awareness and creating opportunities for community members to catalog and celebrate their language and stories via sociolinguistic interviews.

Admission: Free

Ohio University Movie Night at 6:30 p.m., hosted by the Campus Involvement Center, Baker Center Ballroom. Join BSCPB, the Multicultural Center and OHIO Involvement for a screening of Rosewood as a part of Black History Month. There will be free food and takeaways.

Admission: Free

Saturday, Feb. 20

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E State St. Shop for locally grown and locally made foods and goods at the farmers’ market. The market accepts SNAP, credit cards and wholesome wave. Masks are recommended, and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: Free

Fix Hickory Trail at 10 a.m., hosted by the Athens Bicycle Club in the Thunderbunny Trailhead Parking Lot at Strouds Run State Park. Help fix a bridge and improve drainage along the Hickory Trail to better hiking conditions. Volunteers will be divided into small groups, working under a trail work leader. Social distancing and masks are expected.

Admission: Free

Civility on Tap at 4 p.m., hosted by Cultivating Change OU at Jackie O’s Public House Restaurant, 22 W. Union St. Join Cultivating Change OU to learn about cultivating civil change. If participants wish to dine in, they must make a reservation through Jackie O’s website

Admission: Free

Level One Ceramics at 4 p.m., hosted by the Visual Arts Center at Hocking College, 3301 Hocking Parkway in Nelsonville. Learn about wheel throwing basics and create a bowl. The class is the first of two; participants must also attend Community Glaze Night to finish their pieces.

Admission: $35

Sunday, Feb. 21

“Women of Appalachia Project” Fine Art Exhibition at 12 p.m., hosted by the Dairy Barn Art Center, 8000 Dairy Lane. Explore art created by a diverse group of women. The Women of Appalachia Project encourages the making of art that shares artists’ culture and experiences, addressing issues of stereotypes and marginalization. The art creates “a force, unified and non-violently confrontational, to show the whole woman, beyond superficial factors often used to judge her.” Reservations to view the exhibit can be made through the Dairy Barn website.

Admission: $5, free for Dairy Barn members

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu