Adele lifted her four-year hiatus with the announcement of an album release on Nov. 20.

Tunes with Tate: My family reviews '25' by Adele

As rumors about Adele’s fourth album being released in the near future have been circulating since last year, let’s take a look at her third album, 25, which is now 5 years old.

Coming almost five years after her smash hit album, 21, the world was sitting on the edge of its seat waiting for the first single to drop. When “Hello” was finally unleashed to listeners approximately one month before the album’s release, it became a No. 1 hit internationally and sold over a million copies in its first week. The song eventually won Adele Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the 2017 Grammy Awards. 

She also won Album of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album for 25. The album was a worldwide phenomenon due to its combination of hard-hitting lyrics and Adele’s show-stopping voice.

It’s interesting to reflect on the point of life I was in Nov. 20, 2015, when 25 came out. I was a freshman in high school who had finally gotten a grasp on things and was excited to get my hands on some new Adele for fear of over-playing 21. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t drown some sorrows with this album in the months following its release, but who didn’t, right? To this day, it’s still one of my favorite albums to go back to, and I anticipate it staying that way for many other people for years to come. 

What I find striking about this album is that it's intentionally happy. “I definitely wasn't going to write a heartbreak record 'cause I'm not heartbroken,” Adele said in an interview for i-D

There’s something incredible about not only actively seeking out happiness for your own well-being but then sharing it with the world as well. She added she didn’t feel like she could make a better heartbreak album than her previous record, so why try to duplicate it? 25 is more about a healed heart, being in love, happy and a mom to her son. It’s also worth noting this album’s creation was not originally planned by Adele. After saying she would be taking a brief hiatus in 2012 to “live a little bit,” the birth of her son later that year inspired her to start recording music again. At the end of her hiatus also came the song “Skyfall” for the James Bond film of the same name, which ended up winning the Grammy for Best Song Written for Visual Media, the Academy Award for Best Original Song and the Golden Globe for Best Original Song.

If it hasn’t been made clear already, I’m 100% a fan of Adele. I knew before informing my family of this week's album that they would give a positive review, as this album has been played many times in our house before. Regardless, it would be rude to not include their thoughts, so here’s what they said:

Mom: This album has been on regular rotation in our house since 2015, thanks to a certain aspiring musician I know. What’s not to love? My favorite track is “Remedy,” but I also like “Sweetest Devotion.” Adele is always a favorite! Nine out of 10.

Dad: I’ve listened to this with a certain Bobcat countless times. It’s not my normal kind of jam, but she can sing. Eight out of 10.

Brother: It’s pretty good. Not something I listen to on my own, but it’s not bad, and I can understand why some people like it. Seven out of 10.

Despite the extended periods of time in between her last two albums and her next one, Adele never fails to impress. Her unique, powerful voice and amazing lyrics are worthy of every award she has earned and is an outstanding role model for all women everywhere. If you haven’t taken the time to delve into her work, I cannot encourage it enough: you might find listening to her music to be a new favorite pastime.

Tate Raub is a freshman studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Tate? Tweet her @tatertot1310.

Tate Raub

Opinion Editor