Amazon’s Fire TV is giving you more local news; Scripps students to appear on new podcast

Today is Friday, March 12, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

The E.W. Scripps Company is among five television divisions owned by ABC working to expand the coverage of Amazon’s Fire TV news app. Users of Amazon’s app will now have access to 88 stations to receive their local news in select cities, though it still falls short of other alternatives available on the platform. The other distributors joining the E.W. Scripps Company include TENGA, Cox, Altice USA and CBSN.

The free app is powered by ad sponsorships, effectively providing commercials and mimicking that of cable television without having to navigate the twists and turns of regular cable programming and a definitive focus on news media. President of local media at the E.W. Scripps Company, Brian Lawlor, emphasized that this expansion is a “strong testament to the power of local news,” in a press release.

According to Statista, a consumer marketing company, 363 TV stations in the United States are responsible for carrying local news with 3.19 million people watching the morning news and another 5.35 million watching the evening news. Local news broadcasts continue to lead in how people receive their community updates as opposed to that of local print media.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

Scripps students talk about their education experiences on ‘The Scripps Launch Pod’ (The Post)

Jesse Bathea, an OU alum, discusses his new book ‘Fellow Travellers’ (The Post)

‘Before Roe v. Wade’ event discusses reproductive justice during International Women’s Month. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another spring day as today’s high will be 52 degrees with partly cloudy skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine deemed ‘safe and effective’ following reports of blood clots. (BBC)

Marvel’s ‘Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ premieres today on Disney+ (NYT)

Reviews.org is seeking volunteers to go tech-less for 24 hours. (Fox 13)

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu  

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director