Existential Binge-Watching: ‘Cherry’ is a defining showcase for the Russo brothers

Anthony and Joseph Russo have been on quite the journey since their days directing superhero blockbusters like Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the box office-breaking Avengers: Endgame. They are known for bringing some of their Marvel stars along with them, from Chris Hemsworth in Extraction to the late Chadwick Boseman in 21 Bridges, and Cherry is no different, as it stars the web-slinging Tom Holland.

Based on Nico Walker’s debut autobiographical novel of the same name, this film marks the first time the brothers have directed since capping off over a decade of MCU films in addition to producing. And it’s truly the Russo brothers creating without fear. Their past couple non-superhero films have shown their talents as producers, but Cherry has the feel of a film they’ve been waiting and desperately wanting to make.

This isn’t to say their previous production credits haven’t shown heart, but this film seems to be the direction duo establishing their own flair and style and, really, just having fun with their passions in moviemaking. Throughout Cherry, there’s a number of quirky obscurities, such as the titular character’s psychiatrist being named Dr. Whomever or emphasizing a drill sergeant’s commands in bold, red text pop-ups. They utilize Holland to break the fourth wall and play around with lighting, color, blurring, frame weight and everything in between. You name it; they try it.

The film is borderline experimental, creating pockets of existential surrealism that really envelop the viewer in its moments. On paper, it sounds over-ambitious, too grand for its own good. Yet, because of the Russo brothers’ style, it works. Cherry becomes human, even in its grandiosity, and there’s a very special connection that forms with viewers from this.

This also applies to the story, which follows a kid who joins the military after believing his girlfriend — Ciara Bravo’s Emily — breaks up with him. He goes off to war and comes back suffering from PTSD that spurs him into becoming a heroin addict who robs banks to pay off his debts. It’s a plot that has elements of hundreds of different movies, but it still works due to how the Russo brothers spin it. What could’ve been bland and overdone becomes filled with heart, humor and utter tragedy that pulls at every emotion until the moment the credits roll.

The film does perhaps struggle to keep up with the vast number of topics it tries to cover, from a critique of the Iraq war and the horrendous treatment of veterans after serving to the opioid epidemic and doctors willingly handing out OxyContin prescriptions. But, at the very least, Cherry gets the ball rolling in bringing some attention to these important issues. It doesn’t necessarily suggest solutions, but it has the power to get people thinking and questioning after watching. There’s also help in the fact that the movie is broken up and organized into sectional chapters.

Not only is the film groundbreaking for the pair of brothers, but also for Tom Holland. Bravo has already proven herself as a versatile actress prior to Cherry — seriously, go watch Wayne — but Holland has been largely identified only as Peter Parker. This film allows him to really show off his power and talent as an actor. A complete reversal from his awkward humor and heart in the MCU, Holland plays a believable war veteran suffering from PTSD. His portrayal of someone going through such immense trauma is utterly breathtaking and a huge step forward in the young actor’s career.

Simply put, Cherry feels like a passion project for everyone involved at its core. Even little things like the Cleveland natives filming some of the movie in their hometown to Joe Russo appearing in a cameo role as the restaurant owner where Cherry works prove the brothers have clearly poured their souls into this project.

It’s a captivating film that absolutely begs to be watched from start to finish. Now officially streaming on Apple TV+, it is an experience everyone should witness at least once.

Jackson Horvat is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.