Kings of Leon to release new album through cryptocurrency; demonstration for non-renewed OU faculty members held

Today is Thursday, March 4, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Music will forever be evolving, and Kings of Leon may be pushing some of that change in a new, digital direction.

The band will become the first to drop music in the form of a non-fungible token, or NFT, when it releases its newest album Friday. 

NFTs are a form of cryptocurrency that can hold goods such as arts, tickets and music. 

Similar to other forms of cryptocurrency, NFTs operate on the blockchain, which is a public network where anyone can see NFT transactions and their details. NFTs were formerly fairly unused by the wider music community, but recently, artists such as Shawn Mendes and Portugal. The Man have entered the world of cryptocurrency.

The album, When You See Yourself, is part of a project in which Kings of Leon will drop three different NFT tokens. Aside from the album token, other tokens include live show perks for life and exclusive audiovisual art. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University is now planning for commencement ceremonies to be held in-person with a live stream also available. (The Post)

Check out The Post’s basketball issue. (The Post)

A demonstration was held Wednesday in support of non-renewed faculty at Ohio University. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Here are the numbers you need to know after women’s basketball took on Akron on Wednesday. (The Post)

The men’s basketball team will take on Bowling Green State University this Friday. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Spring is itching to arrive! The high today is 45 degrees, and skies will be sunny all day. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The next stimulus checks will have narrowed eligibility after pressure was put on President Joe Biden by moderate Democrats in the U.S. Senate. (The Washington Post)

Nine people were killed in Myanmar on Wednesday amid protests against military rule. (NBC News)

Meghan Markle is “saddened” to hear how her reputation is being attacked after reports she bullied aides emerge. (People)

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu