Ohio infielder Alex Day (#10) throws a fielded ball to first base Bobcats game against Northern Kentucky on March 26 at the Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats beat the Norse 3-1. 

Softball: Bobcats get first wins of the season in sweep of UNC Wilmington

The Bobcats swept the four game series against UNCW.

The Bobcats traveled to Wilmington, North Carolina to take on UNC Wilmington in a four game series. The Bobcats went into the series still searching for their first win of the season and came out of the weekend with four. The Bobcats won both Saturday games with scores of 6-4 and 7-2. Then on Sunday they won 5-4 and 8-3. 

Saturday

GAME 1: Ohio 6, UNCW 4

UNCW started the game of by singling in a run making the score 1-0. The Bobcats (4-5) answered in the second inning when Caitlin Fogue scored on an error and then Alexis Dawe drove in two runs with a double making the score 3-1. UNCW was able to tie up the game in the bottom of the third. 

Emily Walker’s RBI single gave the Bobcats the lead back and then Walker scored on a throwing error giving the Bobcats a 5-3 lead. UNCW threatened in the fifth and were able to pick up a run to tighten the Bobcats lead. But the Bobcats were able to add an insurance run in the sixth with a sacrifice fly from Mikenzie Vaughn making the score 6-4.

The Bobcats defense was able to keep UNCW scoreless the rest of the way and they secured their first win of the season. 

Game 2: Ohio 7 UNCW 1

In the second game of the doubleheader, the Bobcats opened up the scoring in the first with an RBI single by Katie Yun and a sacrifice fly by Annalia Paoli to make the score 2-0. UNCW was able to cut the Bobcat lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the first.

But then in the third, the Bobcat offense busted the game wide open. Yun singled in a run, Caroline Spacek doubled in two runs and Brooke Rice single in a run making the score 6-1. The Bobcats were able to add another run in the fourth with a single from Paoli giving the Bobcats a 7-1 lead. Madi McCrady pitched a complete game for the Bobcats and struck out four batters. 

Sunday 

Game 1: Ohio 8, UNCW 3

In first game on Sunday, the Bobcats started right where they left off with a three-run home run from Vaughn. UNCW stormed back and scored three runs to tie the game up in the bottom of the second. In the fifth inning, Rice hit a two-run homerun giving the Bobcats a 5-3 lead. 

In the seventh inning, the Bobcats were able to extend their lead with another homerun. This time a two-run homerun from Spacek and a single from Allie Englant topping the Bobcats off at 8-3. Mackensie Kohl pitched an impressive game going all seven innings and adding seven strikeouts.  

Game 2: Ohio 5, UNCW 4

The Bobcats went for the sweep and started out the game with a sacrifice fly from Vaughn, followed by a run in the second off an RBI single by Englant. UNCW was able to score a run in the fourth to cut Ohio’s lead to one. 

The Bobcats offense opened the game up with a two RBI triple by Paoli and an RBI single by Fogue making the score 5-1. UNCW gave the Bobcats a scare scoring three runs over the fifth and sixth innings and cutting the Bobcat lead down to just a run. But the Bobcats were able to finish the game and complete the sweep. 

What’s Next?

The Bobcats will play their first home series of the season against Mid-American Conference opponent Northern Illinois starting on March 19 at 3 p.m.

@Willyfran5

wf991919@ohio.edu