2021 spring fashion forecast

There is simply no time to dress boring or to be anything but bold this spring. Due to the pandemic last March and April, there were no events or outings to show off one’s seasonal style, and although it is still important to practice social distancing and be mindful of others’ health, with vaccinations and cases way down, there is more opportunity to express yourself through this spring’s trends, outside of the house. 

Even if you feel like you’re still just mainly chilling inside, still attempt to brighten up your days and mood with the simple gesture of piecing together outfits that encourage you to feel confident, polished and pretty. And besides, what better way to flaunt your best fit than an Insta pic? No one needs to know you didn’t go anywhere, and who cares if they did! To stay up to date this spring and show out and stand out, here are seven staple pieces for the season to have on your radar:

Mismatched patterns 

The days of being straight laced and following the rules are O-V-E-R, over. Yes, matching sets and colors are still in and undeniably cool, but so is getting a little funky and unconventional by pairing together completely mismatched patterns. The idea of discrepancy within fashion is audacious and modern, so don’t be late participating in the movement. 

Let loose by combining per say, a hot pink zebra print shirt of some sort (think tie or crop top), with some wide-legged neon green leopard print pants. Festive, right? The same goes for cow, checkered, houndstooth, fruit stripes, watercolor and floral printed articles of clothing. Experiment to see which colors and patterns fit best together. 

‘70s inspired

The ‘70s were justly iconic. From the fashion to the music, the culture of the time period should be preserved and praised for eternity. The trend is timeless.

With word that ‘70s inspired style can be embodied through differing shades of brown and orange corduroy pants, fruit stripes, halter tops, platform sandals, duller variations of the primary colors and vibrant, big floral prints, everyone should be over the moon ecstatic about the return of the hippie age. 

There is nothing about the ‘70s that doesn’t scream spring. From the prints to pairing flare pants with halter and graphic crop tops, the outfits are perfect for the current days’ temperature. Additionally, the splash of color ingrained in the decade’s clothing is just what everyone needs as we inch closer to summer.

Cargo pants

There’s a hard truth we all need to face. It’s time to trade the sweatpants and leggings for a different kind of pants. OK, we lied. It would undeniably be impossible to give up every college student’s favorite staples, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room in the closet to add a new one, too. 

To switch up your usual go-to lounge around outfit, purchase a pair of unique cargos. They are perfect for days spent studying and walking outside, while allowing you to look fashionable, but comfortable all at once. The pants look best with some high socks and some retro sneakers

Cinched bodycon dresses

It can be argued that the right kind of casual dress is both spring and summer’s best friend for the reason they are versatile. A chic sundress can be dressed down with a pair of AirForce ones and a jacket, or dressed up with some platform sandals and a shawl. Take your pick. 

Sundresses prevail, but what is on the rise this spring season, are fitted, breathable, stretchy cinched bodycon dresses. They tie at the bottom, meaning they are adjustable for any height or length preference. Envision this: A pastel one of these, topped off with some layered gold jewelry, a slicked-back bubble braid, chunky sneakers and either big or cat-eyed sunglasses. This is sure to be a look of this season. 

Sweater vests

How ironic to think an article of clothing we once made fun of, is now on the rise as one of the fashion industry’s most beloved and adopted pieces. 

Tan and pastel sweater vests with houndstooth print are in. Placed atop a white collared work shirt, makes for the perfect photoshoot or lunch/dinner fit on a chillier day. But as the days begin to grow warmer, the vests can be worn solo. Sweater vests imply both sophistication and contemporariness. 

Pastel sets 

The popularity of matching sets isn’t anything new, proving what once could’ve been considered a fad, is moving toward establishing itself as a trend. In fact, the rise of these comfy, cozy sets acclaimed itself in quarantine, when users on TikTok began making bleached and tie-dyed matching sweat sets. 

However, this spring, to spice up the concept of monochromatic fits, shy away from the darker colors and bulkier clothing items that are worn in winter, and swap them for crop tops and biker shorts or off the shoulder tops and skirts, in light, baby pastels such as lavender, yellow and mint green. You’ll be sure to appear glowing. 

Bucket hats

Beanies walked so bucket hats could run. If beanies are winter’s prominent headwear, bucket hats are spring and summer’s. Not only are they conventional in the sense the hats are able to block the sun on a bright and scorching day, they are incredibly trendy and can be worn with close to anything. Both solid-colored, tie-dyed and patterned ones are bestsellers. 

@emmadollenmayer 

ed569918@ohio.edu