spring eating

How to eat seasonal this spring

It’s the time of the year when the snow melts away and spring is in the air. Spring is known as a season of renewal. Nature comes alive and the sun replaces the dull gray of winter. Along with the blooming flowers and chirping birds of spring comes a bounty of seasonal produce. Embrace this season of renewal by incorporating seasonal produce into your diet. For inspiration, check out our list of ideas. 

Artichokes

Fun fact: an artichoke is the immature flower bud of a thistle. However, it is also commonly eaten as a vegetable. When buying, the artichoke should feel heavy and the outer leaves should be closed, with slight separation in between. Eat them alone roasted or in a dish, like grilled cheese or chicken.

Broccoli

Broccoli is a classic vegetable that is highly versatile. When at the store, choose broccoli with tight green florets and avoid dried-out steam ends or yellowing florets. The beauty of broccoli is that you can incorporate it into almost any meal. Use it as a side dish caramelized, roasted or steamed. Add it into soup, a casserole or lo mein.      

Brussel Sprouts

Brussel sprouts are a leafy green vegetable from the cabbage family, making it look like miniature cabbage. Pick brussel sprouts that are small to medium in size, not large. Their color should be bright green and have tightly wrapped leaves. Enjoy brussel sprouts in an air fryer, roasted or sautéed.

Pineapple

Pineapple comes into season in the spring, bringing all the tropical vibes with it. A ripe pineapple should have a firm shell that is slightly soft when squeezed. Pineapple is refreshing by itself. In dishes, it brings a sweet flavor. Enjoy pineapple in a fun fruit salad or pineapple salsa.

Mushrooms

Mushrooms are a great nutrient-rich fungus. When buying mushrooms, look for smooth, dry and firm tops. Avoid anything soft or slimy. Their mild flavor makes it simple to incorporate mushrooms in dishes. Try mushrooms in  pasta sauce, philly cheesesteaks or macaroni and cheese.  

Avocado

Avocado is a super fruit that contains good heart-healthy fat. It’s creamy in texture and mild in taste. Choose an avocado that squeezes with gentle pressure and has a darker color. However, if you aren’t going to use it that day, pick one that is slightly green and more firm to the touch. Avocados ripen quickly and do not stay ripe for long. Try avocado on toast or as guacamole. Use it as a substitute for eggs in brownies or a salad

@colant_juliana

jc079419@ohio.edu