Weekender Briefs: Attend virtual Celebrate Women Conference; view ‘Women of Appalachia Project’ Fine Art Exhibition

Friday, March 19

Celebrate Women Conference at 8:30 a.m., hosted virtually by Ohio University Lancaster in partnership with OU Chillicothe, OU Eastern, OU Southern and OU Zanesville. Network with, learn from and celebrate women at the 15th annual Celebrate Women Conference. More than 30 speakers are slated to speak at the event. The keynote speaker is Alison Levine, team captain of the first American Women's Everest Expedition and businesswoman.

Admission: Free with registration

2021 Spring Literary Festival: Ada Limón returns with Jason Schneiderman, March 19 at 10:30 a.m., hosted virtually by OU’s English Department. Attend the OU English Department’s 2021 Spring Literary Festival. Ada Limón and Jason Schneiderman are poets who will be doing readings of their works. The campus community is invited to come celebrate with the English Department and these writers via Teams.

Admission: Free

Legacy: Don Adleta and Karen Nulf, 60 years of Graphic Designat 12 p.m., hosted by The Kennedy Museum of Art, 100 Ridges Circle. View this exhibition that chronicles the creative ventures of OU graphic design professors Don Adleta and Karen Nulf. Before attending, complete OU’s coronavirus training and schedule a visiting time via the Google Form provided by the Kennedy Museum of Art.

Admission: Free with registration

Saturday, March 20

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E State St. Shop for locally grown and locally made foods and goods at the farmers’ market. The market accepts SNAP, credit cards and wholesome wave. Masks are recommended and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: Free

Build Your Own Solar Generator Workshop at 1 p.m., hosted by Rural Action, 751 W Union St. Learn how to build a compact and sustainable solar generator. Materials and tools for the class will be provided by Rural Action and the Community MakerSpace. Registration is required and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: $25

OU's Opera Theater presents: An American Triple Bill: Three Short Works by Jake Heggie at 7:30 p.m., hosted virtually by OU Voice Division. View the OU Opera Theater’s presentation of Three Short Works by Jake Heggie. The production includes pieces of: 9/11, Iconic Legacies and Farewell, Auschwitz. Jose Rocha is the conductor and Andrew Ryker is the director.

Admission: Free

Sunday, March 21

“Women of Appalachia Project” Fine Art Exhibition at 12 p.m., hosted by the Dairy Barn Art Center, 8000 Dairy Lane. Explore art created by a diverse group of women. The “Women of Appalachia Project” encourages the making of art that shares artists’ culture and experiences, addressing issues of stereotypes and marginalization. Reservations to view the exhibit can be made through the Dairy Barn website.

Admission: $5 or free for Dairy Barn members

LFC Presents: The Door at 2 p.m., hosted virtually by the Lost Flamingo Theatre Company. Join the Lost Flamingo Theatre Company, OU's original student-run theatre organization, for their second virtual performance of the semester: The Door. The production tells the story of a grandmother and her grandson while exploring societal truths. Tickets can be purchased through the Anywhere Seat website.

Admission: $10 or any amount higher for donations

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu