The women's soccer team huddles together before their game against the Akron Zips on Oct. 4, 2018.

Soccer: Ohio takes on Miami and Bowling Green this weekend in its first competitive action since 2019

The Bobcats are back in competitive action for the first in over a year this weekend. They take on Miami on Thursday at Peden Stadium in Athens and then travel to Bowling Green to face the Falcons on Sunday. 

Here’s everything you need to know:

The Opponent: vs. Miami (0-0, 0-0 MAC)

- Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.

- The RedHawks finished 4-13-1 (3-7-1 MAC) last year and finished 11th in the conference. They did not make the MAC tournament.

- Miami has not beaten Ohio since the 2015-16 season, and the Bobcats have won three of the last four meetings between the two.

- The RedHawks were picked to finish last in the MAC East in this year’s Preseason Coaches’ Poll.

Player to Watch: Junior forward Kristina DeMarco, who scored the RedHawks lone goal in their exhibition loss to Ball State on Feb. 21.

The Opponent: @ Bowling Green (0-0, 0-0 MAC)

- Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.

- The Falcons are the two-time defending MAC regular season and tournament champions.

- They finished 14-6-3 (10-1-0 MAC) last season and won the MAC tournament on penalties over Eastern Michigan.

- Bowling Green has not lost to Ohio since 2015 and has won four of the last five meetings between the two.

- The Falcons were picked to finish first in the MAC East in this year’s Preseason Coaches’ Poll and received eight of 12 first-place votes.

Player to Watch: Senior forward Nikki Cox was the Falcons second leading scorer last year, tallying nine goals and five assists.

Notes on the Bobcats

- Ohio has not played a competitive game in almost 16 months since their season ended in the MAC semifinals last year with a loss to Eastern Michigan.

- The Bobcats finished 11-9-1 (5-5-1 MAC) last season, earning their highest win total since 2002.

- Ohio was picked to finish fourth in the MAC East in this year’s Preseason Coaches’ Poll.

Player to Watch: Junior forward Abby Townsend recorded five goals and 12 assists last season and finished with the second-most points for the Bobcats.

@willocunningham

wc425318@ohio.edu