From the Editor’s Desk: So long, ‘The Post’

Cue the sad music because this is my last From the Editor’s Desk column. I remember back to my freshman year reading Liz Backo’s—the then editor-in-chief—last editor’s desk column. She wrote how The Post is more than just an independent, student-run media outlet. If there’s anything I’ve learned over my last four years here, that sentiment is exorbitantly true. 

To say The Post has shaped my college experience would be an understatement. When I walked onto Ohio University’s campus in fall 2017, I didn’t know where my place was. I tried other student media publications, but the draw for The Post wasn’t its awards, reputation or legacy, but the people. My first interaction was with Alex Darus, the then Blogs Editor. She invited me in, we sat and talked and then she let me pitch my first album review. It’s not good, but feel free to give it a read if you’re so inclined.

From there my relationship with her, my future editor Georgia Davis and the other friends I worked alongside at The Post shaped me into the journalist and person I am today. They are the reason I was confident enough to go for this editor-in-chief position to begin with. 

But outside of the daily workload of The Post, the friendships I’ve formed will keep me tied to The Post for years to come. Some of my closest friends are in my life because I joined The Post. I remember nights where I’ve stayed up way too late simply having conversations in the newsroom or I’ve curled up on the couches with popcorn and watched movies. Before COVID-19, the newsroom was the hub for all Posties, and I hope for future staff members that can happen again. 

While The Post has taught me so much about myself as a journalist, it has also shown me so much about OU, Athens, Southeast Ohio and our wonderful audience and readers. Southeast Ohio is a special place, and the people here are even more special. 

I could go on and on with thank you’s to tons of people who have helped me in the last year, as well as my entire college career. From our readers to the OU staff who have advised us to the dedicated community members that we’ve featured and everyone in between, thank you. From the bottom of my heart. 

As I look to the future, I can’t wait to see what future Editor-in-Chief Abby Miller and the rest of the staff do. There’s so much talent in The Post newsroom—as well as all over OU’s campus—and I can’t wait to look back on my time here and think that in some way I helped shape these staff members and this publication that I love so much.

So, so long The Post. You’ll forever hold a piece of my journalism heart.

Molly Schramm is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Molly at ms660416@ohio.edu or tweet her @_molly_731.